New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL180 G5 Fan probleme

David BRAJORT
Occasional Advisor

DL180 G5 Fan probleme

I have two brand new identical DL180 G5
* CPU E5405 x 2 (8 cores)
* RAM 6 Go (2 x 1 + 2 x 2)
* HD 2 x 250 SATA (RAID 1) + 6 x 500 SATA (RAID 0+1)
* E200/128 controller
* Light-Out 100c
* Redundant power

But on one of them, the fan keep spinning at high speed.
When I try to get some monitoring info (from the remote Light-Out or from the BIOS) everything is empty (actually, trying to get hardware monitoring from the BIOS hang the machine)

So I guess that the server can't get it either and so is spinning the fans at full speed.

So, what can be wrong and how can I solve this ?
5 REPLIES 5
David BRAJORT
Occasional Advisor

Well, I found a solution:

1) Remove the Light-Out 100c card
2) Re-install the latest mainboard firmware
3) Put the Light-Out 100c card back in
Jason Belanger

I tried to reflash the bios without the Light-Out card and fans still spinning and full speed. I tried to down grade the bios still not working. I cannot use that server if it makes that noise... HP are sending me some fans to try but it's a brand new server and why 4 fans would fail like that on their 1st used...

Does anyone having an idea?

Thanks
Jeff Jardine

The DL180 G5 is the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. I bought 3 of them and they are all the same. Way too loud! We can't even put them in our server room as one of them is louder than the 20 other servers I have in there. We finally had to put them in the basement in a separate room becuase they are so noisy. HP has been out and looked at them twice, but they say that is just the way it is. This is a huge disappointment coming from HP. We are looking at a possible vendor change because of it.
Kipp Glover
Occasional Advisor

Make sure you LO100i (BMC) firmware is up to date. I believe that an updated firmware resolves this issue.

Cheers!
/Kipp
ricom1

Visit HP's site / Support and drivers and select Firmware - Management. We use the DL180 G5 in our data center and experienced the same loud/fast fan issue. To solve the problem bringing the fan to normal quiet speed follow the these steps.

After selecting Firmware - Management, begin downloading the oldest revision first to a USB thumb drive. Follow the boot sequence repeating this process until you download the newest revision which should be downloaded & installed last. Once you finally install revision 3.1.1, the sever fans calm down to a normal quiet RPM. The problem is the most current Bios drive requires the most current Lights-Out firmware. http://www.shopricom.com/ is an HP customer who uses the DL180 G5 servers in our data center.