1752715 Members
5850 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL180 G5 Too Loud

Jeff Jardine

DL180 G5 Too Loud

Is there anyone who has a DL180 G5 that is not extremely loud? I have had 3 of them and they are so loud that they are unusable. Anyone else experiencing this? If you have solved it, you would be a hero, let me know how.
6 REPLIES 6
Kipp Glover
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL180 G5 Too Loud

Hi Jeff!

Make sure your LO100i (BMC) firmware is up to date. 3.05 is the lasted as of today.
I think this will fix your noise issue.

Cheers!
/Kipp
Jeff Jardine

Tried reflashing and still have the same problem. HP has washed their hands on it and said that nothing can be about it.
Kipp Glover
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jeff!

What BIOS rev are you at? The latest for the DL180 G5 is: 10/02/2008.

Are you running Linux or Windows? If you are running Linux run the ipmitool command to print out the sensors. From this we can look at what speed that fans are spinning. I could then compare them to mine.

#ipmitool sensor list

I would expect them to be running around 7K RPM.

You could also reboot the server and go into the BIOS setup utility (F10 on POST). Then go into Advanced, IPMI Configuration, Hardware healt information. From here you should also be able to see the fan speed. Again mine runs just under 7K RPM.

Cheers!
/Kipp
Stanley CHOI

BIOS : 10/02/2008
IPMI : 3.05
FAN speed : arround 7200 - 7400

Our DL180 sounds still noisy. Is this normal for DL180?
Is there anything we can do?
Kipp Glover
Occasional Advisor

This is the normal fan speed for the DL180 G5. The fan speed can increase with an increase in temp.

Cheers!
/Kipp
Prabhu Raj
Frequent Advisor

The fan noise is related to the room temperature the server is operating. If the room temperature is under control then reseat the fans, check the CPU and memory usages.

Check the HDD using offline diag.

Update the bios and do a microcode update.