ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL180 G5 Windows 2008 Std x64 BSOD and other probs

DL180 G5 Windows 2008 Std x64 BSOD and other probs

I have a DL180 G5 with an E200 raid. I have the built-in broadcom NIC as well as a dual port HP NIC. I installed Windows 2008 Std x64. The first issue I encountered is that anytime I copy a large file (2.6gig for example) from the network, Windows will seem to copy the whole file but the copy dialog box will stay on the screen for a minute or so. Then the computer will blue screen saying either "a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated" or "clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval.

I'm not sure whether to chalk it up to a problem with the server, NIC or RAID drivers not being up to snuff, or Windows 2008 in combination with this hardware. I've tried Win2003 x64 and the same file copies without incident. I've tried Win2008x64 on a DL320G5p and the same file copies without blue screening. I've rebuilt the DL180 and performed the test using default drivers only, then used the Proliant Support Pack, then the PSP in addition to HP's drivers that were newer than the PSP... every combo has the same problem.

The other issue I've noticed is that every once in a while on a reboot, Windows 2008 will lose the driver for the built-in NIC and attempts to reinstall it will fail. I reboot the server and the NIC is back to normal like nothing ever happened.

anyone else have any experience with these issues?

thanks!!
14 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: DL180 G5 Windows 2008 Std x64 BSOD and other probs

hi

mmm weird issue since W2003 x64 works fine
that makes me think could be a driver issue(maybe driver gets to stressed and W2008 can handle it)

don't you have another controller to insert in that server?

don't you have another PCI NIC Card to try that test too?

have you tested W2008 x32 bits?

can you provide me the version for the:
NC105i: ?
E200 controller?
chipset driver(processor)?

some other ideas
do you have latest Firmware for controller and System ROM

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-6a64282610824f5d82c2106f7d〈=en&cc=us&mode=5&

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3580699&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580698&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4024#12212

sorry too many things above

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!

I think I may have solved my problem. I pulled out most of my RAM and now I can copy giant files without problem. Does the DL180 have any utilities to test memory??

thanks for your help... and remember, when in doubt, try different RAM!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

mmm

interesting

yes you can try this offline tool to test your memory

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580698&swItem=MTX-18478c431597437684c412f795&prodNameId=3580699&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

it does not mention W2008 but it's OS independent since it is a bootable CD

regards

I pulled out my RAM and installed one pair at a time and the problem didn't return. My guess is maybe there was a hair or some other conductive debris on the RAM contacts... still kind of scary when you can't reproduce the problem.

I'm running the diagnostics CD right now to see what it finds.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

were you able to fix your issue

this one and the on with BMC?

regards

It appears to be a pci express or riser card problem. I'm using an NC360t and if it's in the solo x8 slot, I get a lock up or blue screen when trying to upload to the network. If I put it in the other riser card next to the RAID card, it works flawlessly. From everything I have read, the x4 NC360T should work in the x8 slot. I have the HP tech here looking into it. We've replaced the motherboard, processors, and the riser card and still get the same problem. Will post if we figure anything definitive out.

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Ryan

We are like having the same issue

were you able to fix it?
any update?

thanks a lot

While I can't say exactly what the problem was, I can tell you how I solved it. I moved the P400 from the top X4 slot into the single X8 slot. I put the NC360T into the top X4 slot. After that all problems stopped. I'm guessing it had to do with having the X4 NC360T in an X8 slot. There's an issue with either that slot or the NC360T in that slot. The HP techs weren't able to offer me an answer and it was incredibly frustrating to figure that out by myself over the course of a month and a half. The errors and blue screens pointed to processor problems and everything inbetween.

Hope that helps!!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

glad to hear that

thanks a lot by the way

we will try that in our case too only difference we got an e200

thanks
Kristian Gyllström
Occasional Visitor

Hi Ryan!

I have the same problem but I have a HP NC364T NIC and a P400 controller. When the network is under heavy load (e.g. running VHD files from a remote server) the server locks up (the red led lights up) and I have to cycle the power. During POST the P400 controller displays error 0x9B but the server is able to boot up. I've tried everything else (bios, firmware and driver updates) but now I will try your solution. I will post back here.

Any luck Karlo or Kristian?
Matt Kramer
Occasional Advisor

Moving the P400 card to PCI slot 5 and then having the two NICS right on top of each other in PCI Slot 0 and PCI slot 5 worked for us as well. Before we would constantly have CPUO and CPU1 ierr asserts and random reboots during large file transfers. Now with the NICS in the rightn slots it is working like a champ.

Thanks!!
Matt Kramer
Occasional Advisor

Whoops, I meant...

NICs in PCI Slot 0 and 6, while the P400 is in slot 5.
JIRU
Occasional Visitor

JUST FYI, we had BSODs anytime we would try to format a RAID1+0 array in Windows Server 2008 x64 edition w/ DLG180 G5 w/ P400.

After replacing every single part on the (2)DL180 G5 over a period of 2 days(thanks to HP Support-Mohit and Chris, the rest of the support we came across was filled with idiots), I finally found the posts above and we put the P400 from the outside slot on the Riser card to the inside slot and it started functioning just fine-no problems so far. For us it had nothing to do with the memory but the slot the P400 was plugged into.

Question for HP: Is this is a manufacturing defect on the riser card?

Thank you,

JR.