New Discussion

Re: DL180 G6 - SE326M1 - I can't install linux OS from USB

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sajtmoly
Occasional Visitor

DL180 G6 - SE326M1 - I can't install linux OS from USB

Hi,

I bought 1 server (12x3.5 version) with a P410 raid controller. I want to install Arch Linux but it can not be simple there are boot options in the BIOS (USB, P410), I have set it up, but the BIOS prints only Checking NVRAM and then just a cursor flashing continuously.

I have made several USB versions:  E2B on ntfs (multiple iso files) and the simplest: iso file on fat32 with rufus. I tried using a USB CDROM (maybe this is the oldest) but it does not work.

Is the server capable of installing from USB? Need a specially prepared pendrive? 

Thank for the help!

Regards,

Sajt

5 REPLIES 5
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

Normally there should be a POST screen showing information about the system.  The SE series are special editions and may have a custom ROM.  My first suggestion would be to turn on SW6 and reset NVRAM.  Details on switch location and settings are in the maintenance and service guide

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Sajtmoly
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for your reply. After my post. I searched for more and found your suggestion:  clear CMOS with system maintenance switch then load BIOS setup defaults.

I did not think it was going to be that simple, but it worked: Arch Linux installer started on usb :) It is another thing that the Arch Linux installer can not see P410 raid disks (logical drives).

What could this be the problem? Any stupid setting stuck? I bought a total of 3 servers, the rest came and all had the same problem.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The P410 driver is open source, but not sure if it is picked up by Arch Linux. The driver for that controller was changed from a block device to a scsi driver.  So you will need either 'cciss' (block driver) or 'hpsa' (SCSI driver) 

Example RHEL 5 used 'cciss', RHEL 6 used  'hpsa'

You need to use ORCA (shows up dring POST) or ACU (Offline utility) to create logical drives before the OS will see anything

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Sajtmoly
Occasional Visitor

Yes, I use the hpsa driver on a different server. If I remember correctly, hpssacli command is my friend.

Arch iso does not include the driver and has now disappeared from aur I have to fight it.

The bigger problem is that the P410 does not see the 3TB disk (0.00 TB) and I can not download the firmware update. I can not find anywhere, and what I find I should have an active contract. 

I found that a SPP iso should be downloaded, which contains everything - 2013.02 version would be good. Where could this be downloaded?

Sajtmoly
Occasional Visitor

Finally, I downloaded the 2013.02 release, which included the update for the P410 (not HP, but from a Russian site).

I note that the update preparation itself was not an experience. The HP Usb Utility Key did not work on Windows 10. Formatting / copying started, but here it simply paused and did nothing for hours.

The syslinux-based usb on Linux was also unsuccessful. The vesamenu did not start first, because there are more c32 files missing. After selecting menu option, the root could not be mounted for unknown reasons.

Finally, the solution was to burn the SPP iso file to dvd so the installer started and then refresh this raid controller.

That's all I've been discussing here as a problem, it's been two business days to solve (+ nights).