5650 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL180 G6 and Windows Server 2016

hack3rcon
Occasional Contributor

DL180 G6 and Windows Server 2016

Hello,

I want to install Windows Server 2016 on HP DL180 G6, but Windows can't detect my HDD. This server support RAID 0 and RAID 1+0. I tested both RAIDs, but Windows can't detect my HDD. Without RAID I have same problem.

Any idea?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Bunsol
HPE Pro

Hi,

DL180 G6 is not certified for Windows 2016. Kindly refer to the HPE Servers Support & Certification Matrices:-

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/windows.aspx

Windows can only find the drives if the drivers are compatible with the controller. Since this server is not compatible with Windows 2016 hence there will not be any available drivers which can detect the drives.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards,

Bunsol

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
hack3rcon
Occasional Contributor

I can't install Windows Server 2003 and 2008 R2 too.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@hack3rcon wrote:

Hello,

I want to install Windows Server 2016 on HP DL180 G6, but Windows can't detect my HDD. This server support RAID 0 and RAID 1+0. I tested both RAIDs, but Windows can't detect my HDD. Without RAID I have same problem.

Any idea?

Thank you.

The standard embedded chipset controller is SATA only and known as the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID controller when the RAID mode is enabled.  This mode requires a special driver as teh RAID function is in the driver and not the controller itself.  You can change the controller to standard AHCI SATA and the OS should load.  2016 isn't a supported OS so there is a good probability there isn't a B110i driver for that version.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
hack3rcon
Occasional Contributor

OK.

My server has 4 HDDs and when I created a RAID 0 or RAID 1+0 and wants to install Linux then Linux see 4 HDDs instead of one.

Why?

Bunsol
HPE Pro

Hi

We believe that you are trying to install the OS manually and for Windows the driver needs to be injected. If in Linux you are also getting this issue then try using the smart start CD:-

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_2e6c41afdb8c4c0d9bffce484c#tab3

Boot the server with this image and then create array, create logical drive and then proceed to configure and install. Recommend you to use the smart start cd as this contains the drivers pack which assists in the installation.

If you still face issues post using the Smart start CD then it would be best to raise a support ticket with us.

Regards,

Bunsol

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
hack3rcon
Occasional Contributor

Can I download the smart start CD?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@hack3rcon wrote:

OK.

My server has 4 HDDs and when I created a RAID 0 or RAID 1+0 and wants to install Linux then Linux see 4 HDDs instead of one.

Why?

As I mention above, the standard embedded chipset controller is SATA only and known as the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID controller when the RAID mode is enabled.  This mode requires a special driver as the RAID function is in the driver and not the controller itself. 

Without the special driver the OS will see all the drives as individual drives.  When this was a shipping system, drivers were available for the supported  versions of Windows, Red Hat and SUSE Linux.  This link lists the availble versions of the driver, these drivers are kernel version specific .

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/product/3958195/HPE-Smart-Array-B110i-SATA-RAID-Controller?ismnp=0&l5oid=3958193#t=DriversandSoftware&sort=relevancy&layout=table&f:@kmswsoftwaretypekey=[swt8000113]

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!