1753862 Members
7468 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL180 G6 with P410 - slow formatting

Robert Bessems
Occasional Contributor

DL180 G6 with P410 - slow formatting

I have a new DL180 G6 with Windows Server 2008 - 32 bit and P410 raid 4x1Tb disks in Raid5+hot spare.
Whene ver trying to format the drives, it takes ages (well > 12 hours) for a 256 GB.
I had installed Windows 2003 server and this is much faster.

Any idea's
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Woodruff
Advisor

What I've seen is that after you first plug in a drive, the controller insists on doing a surface scan. Until it's done, it takes forever to do anything. I ran some benchmarks. At first I was getting around 1mb/sec. I waited 24 hours, then I got 75+ mb/sec.

Patience...
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
probably also check how big cache do you have in your P410 array controller.

jan
Robert Bessems
Occasional Contributor

The cache is 512 Mb.
Strange thing is that under Windows 2003 is much faster.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Formatting a filesystem is primarily a "write" operation (as I understand it). If the cache is not battery of flash backed, the cache will not be used for writes and so will serve no purpose.

I was experiencing something similar installing Debian Lenny on a DL385 G2 (being one of the cobbler's children, most of my shoes are old :). I was tempted to dig-up how to enable the write cache even without a battery present, but ended-up just waiting.

If Windows 2003 formats much faster on the very same hardware, perhaps it either asks for the cache to be used even if not battery-backed, or it formats with fewer writes?
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows