108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL180 G9 Fan Noise with inserted PCIe Card

WBMoe
Occasional Advisor

No they did not solve my problem.

The answer was:

You are not using a hp certified card so thats not our problem.

Happy HP :-(

I have at the moment no solution for that.

cedhumbert

H221 card is a hp certified card.

Better luck ?

kthusid
Occasional Advisor

I also have the same problem DL180 gen9. It seems like the server firmware is setting the fans at 50% if there is an unrecognized HP card in the server. If I install an Intel NIC, the fans are maxing out at 100%. It is like they are trying to punish us with noise.

If I boot windows, then the fans slow down after the system is booted, but I am not planning to run Windows, we are running Xenserver, so this is not a solution.

The weird part is that I am using a HP 331T network card, that is on the compatibility list for the server and for Xenserver 6.5. Without the NIC, the server is very quiet, as it should be.

RHantz
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone have a solution to this?  I have a DL180 G9 with the latest firmware, drivers and SSP and the fans run at 70% with an HP SCSI card.

Anyone?

Vktor
Frequent Advisor

Answered.

iLO cannot monitor temperatures of the hard drives and automatically ramps up the fans

unsupported OS. 

RHantz
Occasional Contributor

This has nothing to do with hard drives (it is an HP SCSI PCI card) and I have Windows Server 2012 R2 installed which is a supported OS.

Vktor
Frequent Advisor

i not reply for you.  

Vktor
Frequent Advisor

http://community.hpe.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/itrc-264      link to create new post is here.

Best Regards. 
WBMoe
Occasional Advisor

It does not depend on the OS and also not on the HDDs. It is working without the specified card.

The mentioned setup is woring without any problems on an DL380 Gen9. So only the DL180 G9 has the problem.

kthusid
Occasional Advisor

I finally solved my problem with fan noise on our DL180 servers. I got the opportunity to test some HPE 530T network cards, and this solved my problem. The HPE 560SFP+ cards are in my drawer, and the server fans are running at 11-14% :) The temperature is about 20 degrees higher on the components, but the fans spin up occasionally to bring the temp down.
I think it is appalling that the firmware is programmed to do this, and HP Eis not even able to support there own cards or even provide of whitelist.