108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL180: USB ports disabled, LO100 KVM keyboard & mouse don't work

SOLVED
Go to solution
JL123a
Occasional Advisor

DL180: USB ports disabled, LO100 KVM keyboard & mouse don't work

I have a DL180 G6 - I believe its USB ports may have been disabled in the BIOS as none of them work.

It has a Lights-Out Advanced licence - I can reboot and watch the server boot on the console, but the virtual keyboard & mouse don't work via the remote KVM either! Nor does direct keyboard input to the console - I wasn't sure whether that worked with LO100 anyway, although it does with proper iLO.

I thought I would try upgrading the LO100 firmware, but the HP downloads say they are only for USB keys. I tried uploading the CPQxxxx file via TFTP anyway in the GUI, but it said it was an invalid image. The user guide gives an example of a .bin file, but I don't know whether that should be available somewhere or whether it was just an example file extension.

In summary:

- Server USB ports don't work
- LO100 KVM keyboard / mouse do not work
- Unable to upgrade LO100 firmware

Suggestions welcome.
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Woodruff
Advisor

If you connect to ILO's virtual KVM, as it's booting, does it recognize any function keys? If you can get into the RBSU, you can reset the USB ports. There may also be a way to reset everything to the factory settings on the motherboard. You'd have to look at the service manual to find out.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

Since there are no PS/2 style keyboard/mouse connectors on this system your probably going to have to reset CMOS to re-enable the USB ports. iLO devices are presented to the system as USB devices, so I'm assuming it's the same with the LO100 on the DL180

Page 147 in the service guide explains the CMOS reset procedure

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01727924/c01727924.pdf

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
JL123a
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thanks - I wasn't able to short the jumpers properly for some reason, but I removed the CMOS battery and left it for a while - this reset the BIOS settings and the USB ports worked again.
JL123a
Occasional Advisor

Resolved as per last post.