1752815 Members
5936 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL185 2.4 TB storage server

Anthony J Taylor
Occasional Contributor

DL185 2.4 TB storage server

I have deleted the DON'T ERASE partition on drives 1-2 and tried to quick restore from dvd but the process does not find this partition so will not work, is there any way to restore find a copy of the DON'T ERASE partition ???
7 REPLIES 7
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hi Anthony,
You can try setting the partitions MANUALLY, & then run the restore disk.

Regards,
Anthony J Taylor
Occasional Contributor

the arrays were trashed and new disks added
tried removing the additional disks and replacing original ones and recreating array but the restore fails on checking disks as it can not find the restore partition

I do not have any info to recreate this partition :(

I have found a little info on the location of the partition being disk 1 -2 ???

thanks for quick reply
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Anthony,

Are you able to use the Restore DVD with the new disks to perform a restore back to factory defaults? In most NAS boxes you don't need to perform any configuration prior to this as it is done for you and the partitions created by the procedure.

If you remove any configuration (0 logical drives) and use the DVD does it fail?

The HP Proliant Storage Server user guide shows that the DL185 G5 with 8 or more disks has 3 logical drives.
Logical Drive 1 (Raid1) on disks 1 and 2, Logical Drive 2 (Raid1) on disks 1 and 2,
and Logical drive 3 across disks 3-8 etc.
(Please see attached extract from the user guide).

Unfortunately it does not give you the size of these logical drives but I assumed that the restore DVD would do all that for you automatically.

If I can find more information on this I will let you know.

Regards,

Brian

Anthony J Taylor
Occasional Contributor

I have tried with arrays set as disk 1-2 raid 1 and the others raid 5 but the recovery DVD still complains about logical volumes ????
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Anthony,

What I meant was.....

What happens if you erase the configuration completely so that nothing is configured on the array controller. Does the restore DVD then build everything for you without needing to do anything in advance?

Sorry for any confusion.

Regards,

Brian
Anthony J Taylor
Occasional Contributor

it gives the same error when there is no arrays set :(
Anthony J Taylor
Occasional Contributor

Sorry

The P800 default creates an array so I was wrong after deleting the array and restarting the recovery DVD has finaly started to image drives

Many thanks for your help rep added