1748237 Members
3654 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL185 G5 - Fails to boot after BIOS Update

Jason Klotzer
Occasional Contributor

DL185 G5 - Fails to boot after BIOS Update

I just bought a DL185 G5 off of ebay and the first thing I did was update all the firmware, including the BIOS. Unfortunately after running the latest BIOS update I restarted the server and it failed to start. It doesn't even show the screen! All it does it put the fans on HIGH and stays like that continuously when the server is powered on and goes no further. Please, does anyone have any options for rolling back the BIOS, etc? I'm really not in the mood to replace the motherboard, etc.

Thank you very much for any input and have a happy 4th!

8 REPLIES 8
1ndian
Advisor

Re: DL185 G5 - Fails to boot after BIOS Update

Hi there,

You can go to BIOS and run the backup ROM if your server model has that facility. or you can boot with firmware maintenance cd and restore the old bios.

If there is no display reset BIOS by flipping the switch (or shorting the jumper) on the board.

Usually this solves. Post back whatever the outcome is

regards,

1ndian

exar_jay
Occasional Visitor

I just updated the BIOS - System ROM on my DL185 and am experiencing the same issue described above.  Clearing the CMOS does not solve the issue.  Booting to CD is out of the option, as the system never clears POST.  Please supply detailed information for resetting the BIOS - System ROM.  My HP server, which I updated using HP code, is now essentially a $2500 paper weight.  I anxiously await your response.  (as does my boss!)

hockeman

I'm having the same issue.  What was your solution?

SamChieftan
Occasional Visitor

I am having the same issue as well, Did anyone come up with a solution?

firstframe
Visitor

I'm having the same problem with a customers's server.

SamChieftan
Occasional Visitor

Wow this is really incredible, I have been working with the DL series of servers closely for the past 4 years. DL140,160, 185, 380s etc.  I can't believe I missed this HUGE whole in the update series. It appears from this post and others I have posted, that we are at a dead end with finding an easy fix without either replacing the mainboard or reconfiguring a new chip and soldering it back onto the board. I have 12 drives worth of data on this machine, and of course everything is in a RAID system, so it is not possible to get the data off of them unless I buy another machine or get the board replaced. EBay had one for $650.00.  This is almost a crime that no one from HP has commented on at least helping us get pointed into the right direction and/or maybe a discount on the board.  Any thoughts or suggestions on where to get the board serviced perhaps and repaired?

Emaxalot
Occasional Visitor

Has anyone managed to crack this referenced problem and locate the jumper?

xmate
Valued Contributor

Sorry guys...

As far as I know there is no Redundant ROM switch in DL185 G5 server. Because there is no redundant rom on the the server.

You can open a quickspec for a server and if you find "Redundant ROM" in "Intelligent Manageability" section - you have a redundant ROM and you can use server's Maintenance and Service Guide to locate a switch position.

Just have a look at dl380 g5 quickspec.

And compare it to dl185 G5 quickspec.

Server DL185 G5 is a low-end server, so some features a unavailable and the redundant ROM is one of them.

If you are on warranty/carepack/service contract you should ask HP to replace your system board.

In any other case you update BIOS on your own risk.

Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Star.