ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748195 Members
4545 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL20 Gen9 don't have SR-IOV enable switch in the bios(RBSU)

SOLVED
Go to solution
mysy
Valued Contributor

DL20 Gen9 don't have SR-IOV enable switch in the bios(RBSU)

I try some home lab with HPE DL20 Gen9 and X520 SFP+ dual port network, it was support SR-IOV, DL20 install Esxi 6.7 . But when I try enable SR-IOV X520 SFP+ in ESXI, after esxi request reboot to set it , the card still show need reboot to enable SR-IOV in esxi gui.

I check the HPE website , it say was a function switch for SR-IOV for Gen9 ,but I only see two option in my DL20 , no SR-IOV as the document say .  I already update the bios FW to U22 v2.84 .

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/docs/iss/proliant_uefi/UEFI_Gen9_121417/s_Virtualization_options.html

esxi already set to SR-IOV,but no virual network adapter

from hpe web

my dl20 gen9 bios option

6 REPLIES 6
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello 

I would request you use the supported NIC card, please follow the below DL20 Gen9 quickspace for more clarification.

HPE ProLiant DL20 Gen9 Server (page-25-26)

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04834947

HPE Networking 1 Gigabit Ethernet adapters
HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331T Adapter

HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 366T Adapter

1 Gigabit Ethernet adapters
HPE Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 332T Adapter

HPE Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 361T Adapter 
10 Gigabit Ethernet adapters
HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP Adapter
HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530T Adapter
HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 546SFP+ Adapter 
HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 560SFP+ Adapter
HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 561T Adapter

HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530T Adapter

https://www02.cp-static.com/objects/pdf/d/d41/1348837857_1_netwerkkaarten-adapters-hewlett-packard-enterprise-hp-ethernet-10gb-2-port-530t-adapter-656596-b21.pdf

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

mysy
Valued Contributor

The network adapter I use was same chipset as 560SFP+, and it could enable SR-IOR in other HP Z24o workstation with ESXI 6.7.

The point is DL20 G9 RBSU(BIOS) block the SR-IOV function with this card.   not the card itself.

I doubt it could enable the SR-IOV option when I spend other 100 dollar to get a 560SFP+ card with DL20?

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would request you follow DL20 Gen9 supported network card because of that recommended network card tested with this server DL20 Gen9.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

mysy
Valued Contributor
Solution

I could confirm is was a bios function limit or bug from DL20 Gen9 . 

I get other ML110 Gen9 server ,and update it to least version bios,  without insert any pci-e NIC card,  it still show SR-IOV SW option in BIOS ,same as the documents say.  but in DL20 Gen9 doesn't show it in same place.

Too bad that DL20 G9 doesn't support SR-IOV,  it was a good unit for small VM platform and two BCM NIC will be not enough. Add one 10G NIC with SR-IOV vitual NIC was helpful for network performance in it, I don't want to use the Esxi vitual switch function.

ml110g9_sriov.jpg

LTSS
Occasional Visitor

I found the same issue with MicroServer Gen10 Plus.

垃圾HPE,一问三不知,还总是答非所问,回复了四五封邮件,一次都没说到点上

明明就是没有给 SR-IOV 启用选项,也不去确定情况,只会制式回复让用户来来回回按照教程折腾

mysy
Valued Contributor

I get new DL20 Gen10 , from the quickspecs file , it already notes this model not support SR-IOV. But I don't see the in the DL20 Gen9 quickspecs file

Snap68.jpg

Network Controller
HPE Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 361i network Adapter (Intel i350)
The HPE ProLiant DL20 Gen10 server offers the customer a dual-port NIC standard with the option to upgrade with a variety of
networking options.
Notes:
− ProLiant DL20 Gen10 with Intel Xeon E-2200, 9th Gen Core™ i3 and Pentium G processors comes with Intel i350
(LOM) on board.
− ProLiant DL20 Gen10 system do not support Networking SR-IOV.