4754 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL308p G8: "Array cannot be created. The operation is not available."

clawshrimp
Occasional Advisor

DL308p G8: "Array cannot be created. The operation is not available."

Hello,
I am trying to reconfigure an older server with some new drives.  The system already had a 2-drive array, and I installed six more and created a second array via HPSSA with no problems.  Once the OS was installed we got into a boot loop so we decided to blow everything away and start fresh,

Now in HPSSA (using the embedded P420i controller) I can see all eight drives and select them, but there are no further options - just a message at the bottom of the screen which reads "Array cannot be created. The operation is not available."

I haven't found anything via Google which seems to apply to this issue - anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I'm guessing the controller is just disabled for hardware RAID but for the life of me I can't find a way to re-enable it (or why it would have changed), assuming that is the issue.

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Have you tried creating an array with just 2 drives or 4 drives, this is to check if the controller is fine.

Additionally you can update the iLO, BIOS and Controller firmware to the latest to see if that fixes the problem.

Thank You!
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

clawshrimp
Occasional Advisor

I have tried each of those (ultimtely we would like one 2-disk array and one 6-disk array).  What was that link intended to point me to?  I may not have the product entitlement neccessary to reach it.

I have been trying to update the BIOS firmware nut have had no luck so far.  Still working on it.

Thanks

hunter86_bg
Frequent Advisor

Have you checked if there is a newer version for the controller ?
The last SPP for Gen8 is 2017.04.00 , but BIOS and iLO have newer versions than that.
Mine is running on 8.32 and after a specific version , there are more features out of the box (licensing for smart cache is still needed).
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

Update the Intelligent provisioning to latest (1.72) supported for gen8 and check

Download and use the recovery media

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_923c2214ad9247a6adc85f1425

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

clawshrimp
Occasional Advisor

I've been trying to update all the components I can, but no luck so far (I no longer have entitlement to get the newer SSPs, unfortunately).  I was able to run the recovery media, but the problem persists. HPSSA shows all 8 physical drives, but 0 loogical devices and 0 unassigned drives, with no actions available to do anything. 

I have noticed during POST the following message:

"Slot 0 HP Smart Array P420i Controller (0MB, v5.42) 0 Logical drives
Hardware RAID  support is disabled via NVRAM configuration settings"

Trying to find a way to enable that... 

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

Try to clear NVRAM from hardware switch:

The following steps may be performed to clear the server NVRAM by accessing the system maintenance switch on the system board.

a. Extend the server from the rack, remove the access panel, and locate the system maintenance switch (refer to item 1 in figure 1 below).
b. Move switch S6 from default 'Off' position to 'On', install the access panel and install it in the bay.
c. When a message indicates that a maintenance switch has been turned on and the unit has been reset, power it off, remove it from the enclosure and reverse switch S6 and install it in the bay.

Reference (S6 position Should be same for Gen8)

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=kc0108542en_us&docLocale=en_US

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

clawshrimp
Occasional Advisor

No luck with the S6 switch either, I'm afraid.  I've reset the BIOS and updated all of the firmware that I can find on the HPE support site (and am still able to download, since it's out of support.  I am stumped...

hunter86_bg
Frequent Advisor

Slot 0 HP Smart Array P420i Controller (0MB, v5.42)

I already asked you to update the raid controller firmware to v8.32
Also, you have to identify why there is no cache on the Controller.
clawshrimp
Occasional Advisor

I'm afraid I have not yet been successful in updating the firmware - With no accessible dist to install an OS, and no access to the Gen8 SPP, I'm not sure what my other options for doing that are.  Running live bootable operating systems to attempt an online firmware update have also not worked.

As for the cache, I'm assuming that's simply because the Smart Storage battery has failed.  That said, the server was still opearting normally without the battery before all this began.