ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754021 Members
7602 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL310e Gen8, iLO 4 reports 1783-Slot X Drive Array Controller Failure, but everything seems fine

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nonapeptide
Occasional Contributor

DL310e Gen8, iLO 4 reports 1783-Slot X Drive Array Controller Failure, but everything seems fine!

I have a DL310e Gen8 server with a p222 FBWC SmartArray controller. I'm using iLO 4 Standard. Relevant ROM/firmware versions:

• The server's system ROM is: J04 12/10/2012.
  • iLO 4's Firmware: 1.22 Apr 19 2013
  • p222 controller firmware: 3.54

After every reboot, I'm seeing some strange errors when viewing the iLO's integrated management log. Here are the three that concern me:

• POST Error: 1785-Slot X Drive Array Not Configured
  • POST Error: 1783-Slot X Drive Array Controller Failure
  • POST Error: 1719 - A controller failure event occurred prior to this power-up

Notice that for errors 1785 and 1783, the specific slot is not enumerated. It's a generic error that isn't necessarily tied to the p222. Perhaps it's the b120i integrated controller that it's referring to? The iLO's system information >> Storage node tells me that all is well with both the p222 and the b120i:

6-4-2013 12-14-13 PM.png

It should be noted that out of the box, the p222 controller would hang with error 0x13 every time a logical drive was made. Reports abounded across the internet about that being a common problem with version 3.42 of the p222 controller. I was able to upgrade it to 3.54 and all has seemed well otherwise. I have a test installation of Windows 2012 on the server and it is successfully using the p222's volumes for system and data volumes.

What could be causing these errors that are logged in the iLO's integrated management log?

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL310e Gen8, iLO 4 reports 1783-Slot X Drive Array Controller Failure, but everything seems fine

Hi,

1785 error comes up if "A Smart Array Controller is installed but not used".

I guess you are not using B120i so this error is coming up.

Refer to this doc about 1785 error.

1719 and 1785 are pretty self explanatory about controller failure.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Nonapeptide
Occasional Contributor

1785 error comes up if "A Smart Array Controller is installed but not used". I guess you are not using B120i so this error is coming up. Refer to this doc about 1785 error.

That seems logical, I just wish there was a bit more verbosity to let me know for sure that the controller in question is the B120i. But, that can be left as an exercise for later I suppose.

1719 and 1785 are pretty self explanatory about controller failure.

(I think you meant 1783, and not 1785)

I would argue that they aren't particularly self explantory, especially since the error doesn't tell me which controller is suspected of having failed, and how. No other indication exists that there is a controller failure. No other data source tells me what that failure might have been. The POST screens don't say a failure occurred. The controllers themselves don't report any errors. It's rather strange and unsettling. I hate being tempted to simply ignore warning messages. However, in this case, I'm not sure if I have much of an option.

Nonapeptide
Occasional Contributor
Solution

The problem ended up being a faulty flash backed write cache card. HP replaced the FBWC daughtercard for the P222 and the problem was resolved.