ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753360 Members
4742 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL320 G2 IDE RAID problem

Andy Hunt

DL320 G2 IDE RAID problem

I have a DL320 G2 with 2 x 160Gb Hard Disks in a RAID 1 array. According the original Quickspecs, this is supported, although only approx 130Gb of space is usable due to a limitation of the RAID system.

One of these disks has failed, I have replaced it with a very similar 160Gb drive, booted it, and the MegaRaid Spy reports the array is rebuilding. Then, after a while, the whole server freezes, and all I can do is power cycle it. I've tried this 3 times now, and the array just won't complete the rebuild.

I note from the MegaRaid log file that it is only attempting to rebuild the number of sectors equating to approx 130Gb. Can anybody tell me if this SHOULD work? Has anybody had a similar problem?

Alternatively, if I can manually copy the entire good disk to the replacement disk using 3rd party software, sector to sector, then plug them both back in, what will the array controller make of it? Will it see a good array?
3 REPLIES 3
mstoumba1
Advisor

Re: DL320 G2 IDE RAID problem

I see knowbody answere you on this. Will it rebuild the drive if you just let it sit in an off line mode?
Andy Hunt

I finally found time to go and sit overnight in the data centre where the server is, whilst it rebuilt using the BIOS rebuild tool. There were about 20 sector errors at around 88% of the rebuild, which required a manual "ok to proceed" acknowledgement, but apart from that the rebuid did work, and the errors don't appear to have affected the data stored on the drive. I suspect that these sector errors were causing the freeze in the windows based rebuild tool, but I have no evidence for that. Anyway, the BIOS rebuild worked so problem solved. Not an ideal RAID system though!
MStoumba
Frequent Advisor

Im not sure about that. Your talking Ghost or something right? I figured that it would work better off line. I had to do it like that once. You could just go off line again---drop in another drive and let it rebuild. I also assume that you have loaded the latest drivers in the OS and of course Firmware and Bios updates