ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748180 Members
4035 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL320 G2 fan noise like jet engine / Part II

Shawn Bahe

DL320 G2 fan noise like jet engine

I've got a new DL320 G2 which has four fans installed behind the SCSI drives. On power up, the fans spin up and proceed to jump into a speed which produces a sound comparable to a small/loud vaccum cleaner. Seriously un-cool for any people in nearby cubicles.

Is this normal for a new unit? Shouldn't there be some intermediary setting that's not so noisy? I've seen DL360's not a quarter as loud.

S-
8 REPLIES 8
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: DL320 G2 fan noise like jet engine

Hello Shawn,
Please make sure that the system bios is uptodate. I believe there is a setting in the system partition...i.e. by going in F9 to control the speed of fan.

Regards,
Matt Grey

I too have this issue, I have set the fan speed to low in the system settings by hitting F9 at boot, the system remains quiet for a few minutes then goes crazy with fan noise.

My current room temp is around 20 degrees.

Shawn Bahe

Setting the fan speed to "low" reduces the fan speed by a little, though it seems that what is needed is for the HP drivers to be loaded by an OS (I'm using Win2000 Serv).

With the drivers loaded, the software will back the fan speed down to a minimal level and (I'm presuming) control the speed as needed from there.

I had to sit through an hour of SmartStart assisted OS loading to arrive at this. Once my OS booted and the HP drivers loaded, the fan speeds came under control.

S-
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

have a look here, it seems to be the same problem and solved:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=234589

greetings,

Michael
Matt Grey

Whatabout support for Operating Systems other then Windows, I'm using Linux on my server.
Tim Baker_3

There is a driver on the cd supplied with the server that loads and controls the fan speeds. I just had that problem. Load the management software PSP file.
Linux__guy
Occasional Visitor

1) I was able to rustle-up this "old" server : a Proliant DL320_G2, which contains {more or less} these components :
Pentium4 (R) 3.06 with hyper-threading / 3Gb ram / 2 x 160 Gb scsi disks / cdrom_24x / 2 Gbit Ethernet cards/ ATI Rage

2) I downloaded the package :  psp-8.12.rhel4.i686.en.tar.gz, from this site :
->  http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?lang=en&cc=us&sp4ts.oid=3288089&swItem=MTX_814b9a11554b43f2b45870a2a0

3) from my LinuxMint14 workstation I extracted the *.tar.gz : which contained other rpm.tar.gz's ...

4) I classified (moved) them into i386, i586, i686, x86_64, and src_noarch directories

5) I decided to go from lower architecture to higher, so I drilled into my directory structure to /root/Drivers/DL320/RPMS/i386
==============================================================================
[root@localhost i386]# rpm -ivh lm_sensors-2.8.7-2.i386.rpm
warning: lm_sensors-2.8.7-2.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:lm_sensors             ########################################### [100%]
--------------------------------------------------------------
[root@localhost i386]# rpm -ivh hp-health-8.1.1-14.rhel4.i386.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:hp-health              ########################################### [100%]
NOTE: In order to activate the software contained in this package, you must type
'/etc/init.d/hp-health start' as 'root' user.    The hp-health RPM has installed successfully.
--------------------------------------------------------------
[root@localhost i386]# /etc/init.d/hp-health start
   Starting Proliant System Health Monitor (hpasmd):       [  OK  ]
==============================================================================

-->>> FAN SLOWED DOWN IMMEDIATELY !  To a much slower and infinitely more bearable purring ... like most units

Kapla !  {as the klingons would say : success !}

Good luck to you all.

Linux__guy
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL320 G2 fan noise like jet engine / Part II

Hi, 
I was able to repeat the same thing - this time with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (x86) since the DL320 is not amd64.
Downloaded the first package psp-8.12.rhel4 from : 
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_04c440d97a8649f4866ed8b4c2
And HP-Health from : 
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_3c844c21f00c4f29a8d85f1719
* you might have to register (it's free anyways)

On that unit, had alien installed, ran the command for both
i) alien --to-deb packagename. 
ii) Installed them with dpkg -i packagename, 
   {apt-get -f install}  --  if it complains about missing dependancies ..etc
iii) Finally executed /etc/init.d/hphealth start ... silence once again.
Good luck !
Marc