108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL320 G2 with Loud High Pitch Cooling Fans

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jacob Taylor_1
Occasional Contributor

DL320 G2 with Loud High Pitch Cooling Fans

I have read a variety of different threds about the Proliants and the loud fans. I have about 13 of them in a couple of racks. Loud is an understatement. I have them all in a climate controlled with a reliable cooling system. I just installed "HP ProLiant Advanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003" version 5.37.0.0 B (13 Dec 06). I installed this for some reason hoping to fix a PCI USB card problem. After i installed this the fans are now running at normal speeds and at a normal nise level. When i boot the machine they are lound only until windows starts. Is this normal? Will then speed up when extra cooling is needed? Again and as always thanks for any help. jt
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Jacob,

Yes it is normal. When the driver gets loaded during the Windows boot process it determines the current temperature and adjusts the fan speed accordingly.

If the driver isn't loaded the machine plays it safe, and runs the fans fast - and noisily !

If things do start to get warm then the fans will start to speed up again.

Cheers,

Rob
Jacob Taylor_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Rob for the confirmation. Hae you come accross any HP documentation about this? I am now in the hunt for the same fix for Linux boxes. I can now quiet down 8 of my Windows machines but i still have 5 or so squealing Linux boxes. Thanks, jt
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I'm not sure on documentation... I guess there's some somewhere.

For the Linux side of things, you should find that the driver is included in the relevant Proliant Support Pack, which you can find from this page:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/4762.html?submit.y=7&submit.x=5тМй=en&cc=us

Cheers,

Rob