1753546 Members
5655 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G5 - Power supply spins - server won't POST

kenny782
Occasional Visitor

DL320 G5 - Power supply spins - server won't POST

As soon as I plug in the power cable the power supply fans spin up (but not the chassis fans), and the two hard drives get power.

The motherboard also has a green light on.

But hitting the power button does nothing, it just stays amber. No error indications to reference.

It's been sitting on the desk for a few days with a clean windows install and been working fine but it was just dead when we walked in this morning.

Bad PSU?

7 REPLIES 7
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Jiggle the power button maybe? I had a similar issue once where the power button on the front got jammed a little so it was pressed in all the time. It made the server try to start up when power was first applied and then shut down again. Weird.

If that's not it, are there any errors showing up on the pop-out diagnostics thing... any amber lights for the memory, CPUs, etc?

Does it have 2 PSUs or just one? If just one, you might try a different PSU from another system if you have that option.
kenny782
Occasional Visitor

I don't think this one has the pop-out thing, but I just called upstairs I was working from the side so I didn't notice the power supply itself has a blinking green led. (It's a single PSU)
waaronb
Respected Contributor

DL360 G5's should have that slide-out tray thing with the diagnostic lights on it, just below the optical drive bay/above the power button.  If you didn't know it was there you'd probably miss it. :)

kenny782
Occasional Visitor

I'm sorry, I've been working with alot of 360's lately lol..... it's a DL320 G5

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Ah... LOL. I wondered why the subject of the thread changed, that explains it. :)

In that case, you might go through some other troubleshooting like removing all but just enough memory to get it to boot, just in case it's an issue with some memory configuration or a specific module.

Usually though, bad memory will get the thing to beep at you when you turn it on. You might also look inside and reseat everything, see if anything came loose or whatever.
kenny782
Occasional Visitor

Well it was indeed a bad PSU. An 8 dollar one from ebay got her online. So time to order a new one lol

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Very cool. Since the DL320's don't have redundant power supply bays, it's probably a good idea to get a new one and then keep your ebay one around for those "just in case" moments, where you can pop it in if this happens again.