ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752631 Members
5432 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL320 G5 RAID1 Setup

Greg Clifton

DL320 G5 RAID1 Setup

This is my first deployment on a new DL320 G5. I was trying to roll out RAID1 using the embedded SATA RAID Controller. The OS is Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition 32-Bit. Can anyone give some insight on the process?

I tried a standard install using the Smart Start media. However, the ACU does not recognize the embedded SATA RAID controller. I rebooted and pressed F9 and went into the server BIOS and turned on the RAID feature. This did not work either. I continue to get the error that this version does not support the embedded SATA RAID controller when entering Smart Start after the reboot.

After another reboot, I pressed F8 to configure the array. I can setup the RAID1 using 2 drives and reboot into Smart Start to continue to deployment of the server. It still returns the same error that this version does not support my embedded SATA RAID controller.

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks for any responses.
7 REPLIES 7
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

Smart Start only supports assisted installation with Smart Array controllers(e.g. E200). This server model comes with an Integrated Intel 82801GR Serial ATA Host Controller with RAID 0/1 support. After create the RAID you need to make a manual installation loading the driver with the F6 from a floppy drive during the installation process. Try this:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26742.html

Rgds,
Lmm
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

you need to F8 or Control + A, when the controller appears on POST, that's the only to configure an embedded SATA controller.

doing this you have access to array configuration to create the RAID 1 you need.
see the attached file it can control + a or F8

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Alberto Levy
Occasional Contributor

Hi. I am trying to do the same thing, but i can't find the RAID feature in the BIOS. I have entered using F9. Intel has a RAID software available in their website. It dependes of which OS you are installing, but i downloaded and didn't work also.

How can i get in in the RAID feature in the BIOS. I want to try to see of this which may causing me the compatibility with the Intel Software. If this works, i will post the method and the link.

Thanks
Timur S Lukovkin
Regular Advisor

An alternate installation is this:

Install the OS without creating the RAID as follows:

1. Install OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled(No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive.
2. Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder.
3. Goto Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.
4. Restart the Server goto BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.
5. Press F8 and goto Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.
6. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".
7. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully.
KarlP

Doing a manual install works all fine and dandy if you have the floppy drive built in, if you do not, you cannot use the integrated SATA RAID.

This needs to be enabled during the SmartStart installation, or not listed as an standard component on the server without the requirements, You cannot use Smartstart, and you must have an onboard floppy drive.
KarlP

Oh, and additionally, on the 5p, if you try the install, and then install the driver/build the array/reboot, the server bluescreens after the rebuild is complete, leaving you in the same place as you were before, an unusable server with an unusable raid
Sor

I have problem with HP server. I am trying to configure RAID 1 (Mirror) on HP DL320 G5P server on BIOS. BIOS version: DL320 G5p system ROM W05 (10/25/2010). I have two hard disk inserts into server to create RAID 1. one hard disk has 2TB, totally 4TB of 2HDDs. When I create RAID1, it can see only 1TB and then it can see the member of RAID like Port#00 and Port#01. And then create RAID starts to process about 20 minutes and then it error "Unrecoverable Write Error in Distination Drive connected to Port#0 at LBA#0. The array will not be optional. Try to rebuild a new drive" I have tried to change new HDDs but still the same issue. Can you help to fix this?

thanks.

Sor