3311 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL320 G5P SATA-Raid RHEL5-Installation driver problem

FlorianSchmidt
Occasional Contributor

DL320 G5P SATA-Raid RHEL5-Installation driver problem

Hi everyone,

this is my first posting in the ITRC. :)

I'm just trying to install RHEL 5 (Kernel 2.6.18-8.el5) on a DL320 G5P-machine with HP embedded SATA-RAID-Controller (Intel 8280GR, ICH9R-SATA-Controller).

I created a RAID 1 over both of my HDDs. The RAID-Controller is enabled in the BIOS and at POST-time everything is recognized really fine (2 HDDs, one RAID 1).
Then i boot the RHEL5 CD and installation hangs. I copied the floppy-image of aarahci-driver from the following source ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-linux/p695610240/v45424/ onto a floppy and tried to load the driver from floppy. The installer reads the floppy and loads the driver, but always goes on asking for the right driver.

After one day of reading, rebooting, trying lots of things I'm still stuck at this point. It would be nice if somenone could guide me how to install the OS.
If any more information is needed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Florian
3 REPLIES 3
Simon L Jackson
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL320 G5P SATA-Raid RHEL5-Installation driver problem

Hi,

The following may help:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1214350600600+28353475&threadId=1196995

You may need to wade through this article to find your preferred platform/version etc.

Cheers
FlorianSchmidt
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply but I already solved the problem in the meantime...

The problem wasn't the SATA-RAID-Controller (I already had the right driver), the problem was the SATA-DVD-ROM-Drive. I only misunderstood the error-message.
So I had to use a NFS-Image for installing the OS.

Regards Florian
FlorianSchmidt
Occasional Contributor

Back again, I thought the problem would have been solved but some day ago noticed, that RHEL5 does not use the driver. It was used at install time but after that he still uses the normal ahci-driver. aarahci-driver is loaded into the kernel as module but not used.
So i see /dev/hda and /dev/hdb and nothing is mirrored...

Has anyone hints, how to solve this or how I could make him use the right driver?

Thanks Florian