ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748211 Members
4735 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL320 G5p RAID Configuaration (HP Embedded SATA RAID)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cresswell Williams
Frequent Advisor

DL320 G5p RAID Configuaration (HP Embedded SATA RAID)

Hi Experts

I'm having trouble configuring RAIn on my DL320G5p. It has a E200 controller in it.

I have enabled HP Embedded SATA RAID, and at startup I press F8, to configure it. But then it tells me that there are no drives present.

Is there something I'm missing here???

Please advise.
7 REPLIES 7
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

yes

if you have e200 you don't need to enable SATA RAID that is for the Embedded SATA Controller in that server for the e200 you just insert the card connect cables to backplane and you press F8 when controller e200 comes up and option F8 will appear sp you press that

or much easier download smartstart CD

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Cresswell Williams
Frequent Advisor

I think I have found the cause:

This E200 controller is SAS and the disks in the system are SATA, which plug directly into the motherboard. The SATA cables are too small to plug directly onto the E200 controller.

I have now removed the E200 and rebooted, but with no luck. Smart-start says that there are no bootable disk present on the system.

Any other ideas??
Diego Salim de Oliveira
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Cresswell!

Buy a SAS/SATA cable (452130-B21) and use the E200 controller, is the best option.
Any SAS controller can control SATA disks.

Bye!
Cresswell Williams
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for your replies.

That is exactly the solution HP provided me with.

But just a quick question: What if I had not purchased the E200? The reason I'm asking is after I have removed the E200 from the system, it still refused to see the Disks, even with HP embedded Sata enabled?

How would a normal guy like me know how to configure this, if it shipped withut ht eE200?

Thanks in advanced.
cnb
Honored Contributor

"How would a normal guy like me know how to configure this, if it shipped withut ht eE200?"

Hi Cresswell,

Have you looked at this document to make sure the server BIOS settings are correct after you removed the E200?

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01271965/c01271965.pdf

For troubleshooting you might also try here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00300504/c00300504.pdf

HTH.

Regards,

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Normal doesn't come into it when you're trying to configure SATA based arrays!

On a recent build of an W2K3 R2 x64 based server with a SATA Array enabled in the BIOS I had to build a new ISO Image using a tool called nlite to slipstream the Embedded SATA Array Driver into the distro.
Smart Start doesn't detect these arrays.

Finding the right driver wasn't easy as the web page for the HP Server sends you off to the wrong device!
tskelley

Hello and thank you for answering this question because was having the same problem.  After purchasing the SAS/SATA Cable Kit, I had a question about the wiring.  It has 4 SATA wires and one wire that looks like it would go on the mother board somewhere.  Where does this other non-SATA wire connect to?

Any help would be appreciated,

Tom