ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753971 Members
7870 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL320 G5p SATA RAID controller on redhat

Bayard Carlin

DL320 G5p SATA RAID controller on redhat

Can anyone tell me the latest kernel that HP supports for RHEL5? Unfortunately I used HW RAID1 on this server. Installing the OS was fine but it panics when I update the kernel.
Thanks,

Bayard
5 REPLIES 5
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Re: DL320 G5p SATA RAID controller on redhat

hmm

this is latest os supported on thsi server and generation

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3579737&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3579703тМй=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20%BB

Hint >>>>>

This is how we thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy :)
Bayard Carlin

Mark,
Thanks for the response but alas that driver doesn't seem to work with the newer kernels.
Cheers,

bayard
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hi your question was

Can anyone tell me the latest kernel that HP supports for RHEL5? Unfortunately I used HW RAID1 on this server. Installing the OS was fine but it panics when I update the kernel.
Thanks,

and i posted the offical supported ones

hence question answered ..:)

This is how we thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33
Bayard Carlin

Well unfortunately not, the question was what is the latest kernel revision that is supported :-)
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Hi i found something posted orig by matti kurkella cudos..
this might get you on track

As far as I've understood, the supported kernel version for any particular major release of RHEL is chosen at some point before official release. Bug fixes and update releases ("Update N" or 5.1, 5.2, 5.3...) won't change this kernel version: any new features are back-ported to the release kernel version.

The officially supported kernel versions:
RHEL 3 - 2.4.21.
RHEL 4 - 2.6.9.
RHEL 5 - 2.6.18.

For example, a kernel package for RHEL 5 might be named as "kernel-2.6.18-XX.YY.ZZ.rpm". According to RedHat's policy, the 2.6.18 part will stay the same during the entire lifetime of the RHEL 5. Any bug-fixes and backported features are delivered as new XX.YY.ZZ versions.

If you use a kernel that is not packaged by RedHat, you are using a custom system. I don't think RedHat guarantees anything in such a case, but they may provide best-effort support if they so choose.

If you are asking "what can I technically do if I ignore the support question", then you should read the "linux-x.y.zz/Documentation/Changes" file included in every modern Linux kernel source package. The second chapter in the file is "Current Minimal Requirements" and it lists the software components that communicate directly with the kernel. It even lists the commands you'll need to verify the version numbers.

If your RHEL version can meet or exceed these minimum version requirements, you should be technically able to use that kernel with RHEL.

But if you are using a custom kernel, why are you paying for RHEL at all, instead of using the free CentOS Linux (compiled from the exact same source code as the corresponding RHEL)?