cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL320 - Motherboard replaced - no floppy to perform Rompaq

Colin Kennedy
Occasional Advisor

DL320 - Motherboard replaced - no floppy to perform Rompaq

We have a DL320 G4 with a video problem. The motherboard was replaced, but the bios must be old, because at boot it reports that the CPU is not supported, and that a Rompaq must be performed. Fine, but it insists on running the Rompaq from a floppy.
The Server has no floppy.
We have tried a Virtual floppy through the ILO, we have tried a USB floppy, we have tried an HP bootable pendrive, we have tried a bootable Proliant CD, we have tried going into Setup - nothing... It wants a floppy.

The server won't boot properly until the Rompaq has been run.

Any ideas....
5 REPLIES
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL320 - Motherboard replaced - no floppy to perform Rompaq

Try clearing the NVRAM First, if the server is running with 2 procs, try taking one of them out of the server and its memory, so that you can boot with only 1 proc and its memory.

Then you can try Firmware Maintenance CD http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/25831.html

That CD is bootable and will update everything. If that does not work, you'll have to get a USB 2.0 Floppy drive and it has to be HP branded, other brands mostlikely will not work.

Regards,

RaMpaNTe
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

hi,

USB Floppy drive is a good option to try out or else we have download the cd, like already updated in post

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Colin Kennedy
Occasional Advisor

Nice try, but tried all that. It looks like the the server will only accept a Rompaq from a physical floppy drive. The message that it stops with is:
Insert Rompaq Diskette and press any key to continue.
If you press the any key, the screen blanks, like it's going away to check for a floppy disk, then returns with the same message. Neither the USB floppy drive, nor the CDRom drive are accessed.
It seems to me that there is a major design loophole here. The replacement motherboard (from HP Spares) bios is too old to support the current standard CPU, but you can't upgrade it without a physical floppy drive. Who orders a server these days with a floppy drive fitted, just in case you need to perform a low level bios update if your motherboard is replaced.
Looks like we will have to order a floppy drive from HP Spares, use it to upgrade the bios, then return it. A waste of everyones time and money.
Colin Kennedy
Occasional Advisor

Oh, forgot to mention that the internal floppy drive is proprietry. Can't just connect a standard one. Typical....
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12365_div/12365_div.html

yes it is optional and it not standard.
so i would says go for the usb floppy drive.

Internal Storage
HP DL320G4 DVD-RW DRIVE OPT ALL 395498-B21
CD-ROM Drive Assembly Option Kit 372703-B21
Floppy Drive Assembly Option Kit 372702-B21
DVD-ROM Drive Assembly Option Kit 374303-B21

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible