1748181 Members
3384 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL320 Raid 1

Bobby Wilson

DL320 Raid 1

I have 15 new DL320's. I have set them up with the bios Raid 1 configuration. Is it possible to configure one machine with serve3r 2003 R2 and move that one image to each concurrent machine? I am not sure what the process would be but I would guess it is something like taking drive 00 in machine A which is fully configured running raid 1 and move it to machine B in drive bay 00 and let 01 mirror 00. Then move drive 00 onto machine C and so on. Is this possible? If so what would it look like? I couldn't find any good documentation on how to restore a raid 1 config in a system like this. I hope this makes sense. Any help is much appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yeah you can do it

let me explain with 2 servers

you install the first server (whatever OS), ok with RAID 1

ok to avoid to install the second server you take out 1 HDD from server 1 put inside server 2, well turn on this server inside windows you have to put the new brand HDD (blank HDD in the second bay of this server), when you do this this HDD is going to start rebuilding, that's it, of remember the first server put inside another blank HDD, it's going to start rebuild too

rebuilding does the mirroring and you have the save data in both HDD.

that is the way, one by one o you can install
half of the servers first after that take the other half

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Bobby Wilson

So I understand, do I take drive 0 or 1 and move it to the next machine? I assume drive 1. Also, this 320 is using the bios raid configuration. When I boot the second machine with the imaged HDD do I have to rebuild the raid array or just boot the machine? How do I know when it is finished rebuilding? It does not have a raid controller so I am not sure how you can tell in windows when it rebuilds. Thanks for any assistance!
Bobby
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

you know it's a mirror a RAID 1 take any of the HDD, both have the same data.

ok put the HDD turn on the server when the OS is open put the new hdd and it's going to
start rebuilding

@
When the drive comes up to speed within a few seconds the centre led will
flash roughly every second indicating that it is rebuilding.
You can view the rebuild status with ACU if you click on the logical
drive and select "more information".
It should present you with a percentage rebuild status at the bottom of the page.
Once rebuilt, the centre led will be steady green.
@

when disk happen the RAID is completed and ready if want a take another disk out to other server

ok regards
Bobby Wilson

So there is some confusion here. The Dl320 using Raid 1 in the Bios (no controller card present) does NOT have hot swappable drives so I can't put a drive in when the OS boots like I can on a 370. Also, there is no LED FYI. I wish HP had good documentation on using Raid 1 from the Bios and not a controller card.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

i forgot it what generation it is?
Bobby Wilson

G5 brand new out of the box.