1751695 Members
4856 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL320 SATA Raid

johnwaller50

DL320 SATA Raid

I have some DL320 G5 servers with SATA disks using the onboard STAT array for mirroring.
The servers were built using Startstart 7.70 and Windows 2003.
Is there are software that can be used to monitor the status of the array, such as when the disks are failing or rebuilding.

P.S. This thread ahs been moevd from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp forum Moderator

9 REPLIES 9

I have the same configuration and the same concern. The DL320 G5's System Management page does not show the SATA array or disks. Insight Manager does not see them, and as far as I can tell the front panel LEDs can't even indicate RAID or drive condition. This is a major gap for a server that is sold as "highly manageable". (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/15351-15351-3328412-241644-241475-3201178.html)

Are we simply missing a required driver or utility? Or should I go to the Adaptec site for an OEM utility?
If this works ... I'll be famous!
Tom E Reynolds
Advisor

I recently bought a DL320 G5 with SATA drives in RAID1, under the same guidelines that it was a completely supported package by HP. I am beginning to wonder why HP is selling a package that they don't completely support through their own management tools. (Insight manager, SmartStart CD)

I would like HP to comment on this. If I wanted a server solution without management abilities, I would have bought a DELL. I choose HP to have the integrated install and management support, both which do not seem to be included when using the on board SATA RAID option. This should be made clear when ordering, but was not.

Surely there is a good reason why the on board SATA Raid option is not supported with the SmartStart CD, right?

Surely there is a good reason why the SATA Drives in Raid1 can not be monitored with Insight Manager, right?

The claim highly manageable on the DL320 overview page is false advertising and misleading to those of us that have been installing HP\Compaq servers for 10 years now.

If the SATA Drives in a RAID1 config were not going to be supported, HP was obligated tell us. I may have chosen a different server, or upgraded to SAS. Now, the budget is spent, the equipment is installed, and we do not have that choice anymore.

I raised this issue (including many of the points noted in the previous post) with our local HP rep. He was sympathetic but unable to help, saying that HP does not consider SATA to be an enterprise solution. I pointed out that we are quite satisfied with the monitoring capabilities of our MSA20 SATA array... but anyway.

Here is a batch file I wrote to periodically check the status of the DL320 G5's on board controller's SATA RAID array. It's not quite Insight Manager but it's something (watch for wrapped lines):

rem SATA_RAID_Status_Check.cmd May 2007
rem Uses the HP SATA RAID Controller CLI to
rem check status of the array and email the
rem report via BLAT. Email is sent with
rem high priority if status is not "Optimal".

rem Store today's report in text file
c:\hp\sata_cli\hrconf getconfig 1 al >
c:\batch\SATA_RAID_Status.txt

rem Check for optimal status
c:\hp\sata_cli\hrconf getconfig 1 ld | find
/i "optimal"

rem Send appropriate report according
rem to results found

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 (
c:\batch\blat c:\batch\SATA_RAID_Status.txt -to admin@yourcompany.domain -s "IMMEDIATE ATTENTION REQUIRED - SATA RAID ARRAY SUB OPTIMAL" -priority 1
) ELSE (
c:\batch\blat c:\batch\SATA_RAID_Status.txt -to admin@yourcompany.domain -s "SATA RAID array OK" -priority 0
)
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

Have you downloaded the latest SIM Agent install kit at

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26963.html

Also, make sure that you have the System Management Homepage installed on each server. This is the interface to the integrated components of the servers. I have no problem accessing the integrated components of the server and setting up SNMP traps to be sent to the HP-SIM Management console.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.

We installed ProLiant Support Pack v7.80 on our DL320 G5 (see software versions attached). The System Management Homepage is installed and displays status on every component EXCEPT the integrated SATA RAID controller - which does not appear. Insight Manager has discovered the server and reports status on everything EXCEPT the disk subsystem. So if a RAID member fails we won't know until my command line script above runs a check.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

The latest version of the HP Insight Diagnostics Online Edition for Windows Server 2003 may have what your looking for. Check http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26971.html and upgrade to version 7.8.0.2257 and see if the controller shows up.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.

No change. I upgraded the on-line diagnostics as suggested. They detect the logical disk C: but cannot see the array or array controller. The Insight agents still cannot see the SATA disk array on the integrated controller.
Dave Molson

Hello,

Like everyone else on this forum I was appalled to discover that the server I had just persuaded the boss to buy was not what it seemed (or was advertised) to be.
Not sure if you ever found a solution for this yet but I have just installed HP Storage Manager 4.10.00 from
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24806.html
and it does provide basic management for the SATA raid on a DL320 G5 (including notification etc). This is dated 2006 so why it is not included in Smartstart is a mystery. The LED's still don't work but I understand you can buy a seperate cable for this ?

I am still relying on my script for daily RAID status reports. The Storage Manager app works as well. I believe the LEDs are only enabled when using SAS.