108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL320 and DS-KPGSA FC Adaptor

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin Sherwood
Occasional Contributor

DL320 and DS-KPGSA FC Adaptor

Is the DS-KPGSA FC Adaptor supported on the DL320? I have tried two different cards in a DL320 and the BIOS does not recognise them other than to say "Layer 2 PCI device, BIOS cannot configure". The operating system (Windows Server 2003) does not see the fc card.
I am wondering what sort of PCI card is supported on a DL320, I have tried several and none work.
4 REPLIES 4
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Re: DL320 and DS-KPGSA FC Adaptor

Is this a HP/Compaq card? If so, what is the HP product number?

The PCI I/O on the DL320 is a 64-bit/33MHz slot which supports either 3.3V or universal cards. If this is a 5V card it will not work.

Note: We have a number of DS-KGPSA controllers - for use in RISC-based systems.

What other cards have you tried?
Martin Sherwood
Occasional Contributor

It is a Compaq card with part number DS-KGPSA-CY (sorry about the earlier typo). It is basically an Emulex LP8000. I have updated to the latest firmware provided by HP. The card works fine in a DL360 and even in a Compaq Deskpro EN/P866. I have also tried Compaq NC3123 and NC3131 Network cards and they also do not work. Adaptec SCSI cards do not fit into the DL320 PCI slot.
The error message for the DS-KGPSA-CY was actually "Type 2 PCI device detected, the BIOS cannot configure this device".
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor
Solution

The DS-KGPSA-CY appears to be a 5 Volt card. So it should work in the "universal" slot of the DL320, but there appears to be an incompatibility.
Note: Looks like this card was tested in NT 4.0 & 2000, plus AlphaServer systems. What is the BIOS operating system selected for?

You may want to email Proliant technical support on this on:

nacmsupport@hp.com (include Proliant in subject line to prevent delays in routing).
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Here is a list I have collected:

DS-KGPSA-CA - LP8000 for AlphaServers
- DS-KGPSA-CY is the number for the board itself
DS-KGPSA-CB - LP8000 for x86
- DS-KGPSA-CX is the number for the board itself
DS-KGPSA-DA - LP9002 for AlphaServers = FCA2354
DS-KGPSA-EA - LP9802 for AlphaServers = FCA2384

There also was a KGPSA-BC (LP7000) for AlphaServers and x86 I have worked with and I thought I have seen the name 'KGPSA-AA' somewhere.