5316 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL320G3 and G5

tomasz.puchalski
Valued Contributor

DL320G3 and G5

Hello
One of our coustomer ask me if there is possibility that drive removed from dl320g3 will work in dl320g5 or in dl320g4.
System w3k with psp8.0 two drive in raid1
They want to test failure of dl320g3. after failure they plan to remove one drive to another server -dl320g5 or dl320g4. question is if system will start? All servers have embedded controller
3 REPLIES 3
P.A

Hello Tomasz

To answer your question the first thing you need to know is if the model of the HDD's is supported by the G4 and the G5 to answer that we need to know the spare part number or model number of the HDD to compare it with the supported HDD's on those generations

On terms of the server booting up, it will because the information of the RAID is storage on the HDD's themselves, on a part of it call RIS (Read Information Sector), the controller will read this and know that there is a raid 1 on the two HDD's and boot, but you also need to take into consideration that the O/S on those HDD's is configure with a different HW because of the server generation
The G4 and G5 had some differences with the G3 on terms of HW so this can case problems of drivers or applications

Hope this helps you
tomasz.puchalski
Valued Contributor

Hello
I understand this everything all i want to know if embedded raid controler in g3 g4 and ge are similar and works on same driver
burn_up
Advisor

Hi,

These are the controllers of each servers

DL320 G3: HP embedded 2 Port SATA Controller with RAID 0/1 support

DL320 G4: HP embedded 2 Port SATA Controller with RAID 0/1 support

DL320 G5: Integrated Intel 82801GR Serial ATA Host Controller with RAID 0/1 support

So, the G3 and the G4 are similars and use the same driver, but not the G5