1748265 Members
3909 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL320G4 rebooted by ASR Randomly.

Steve H.
Frequent Advisor

DL320G4 rebooted by ASR Randomly.

Hi, I have this strange problem. My DL320 Proliant got rebooted by ASR randomly. Server could run for 60 days then gone to ASR. Sometimes after 15 days then ASR.

Server is running RHEL 4 32bit with kernel 2.6.9-22.ELsmp.

I've been looking around the logs (/var/messages, dmesg) and couldn't find anything obvious.

IML log only says: ASR Detected by System ROM

Any ideas where else to find the culprit? Thanks

Steve
9 REPLIES 9
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Did you open ticket with HP and what they say for DL320G4 and ASR?
For how long you have that system?
Do you have any other DL320g4?
Isaac Morton

Hi Steve,

I have a DL380G4 that does the same thing. I have the same message in my hplog of "ASR Detected by System ROM." You might find it interesting that I also have the exact same kernel and version of Linux. My /var/log files all don't seem to show any weirdness as well. I have a case opened with HP right now. I'll let you know what we find.

-Isaac
Steve H.
Frequent Advisor

Hi Oleg, yes I have submitted a case to HP yesterday but no reply yet. I have this server from around Aug 2005. I have 2 DL320G4 and both having this ASR reboot problem.

Isaac, thanks for that. Please post if you have any news from HP about this problem.

Next thing that I'm going to try is to disable ASR and leave the server crash and hung so I can see what's the error on the console screen. Will post as soon as I find anything. Thanks

Steve
Steve H.
Frequent Advisor

Server is actually from Aug 2006 not 2005. Thanks
Mike Johnson_14
Occasional Advisor

Steve, please update this thread with what HP tells you and what you find. This type of issue on DL385 has been vexing me.
Steve H.
Frequent Advisor

Hi all

After several months monitoring, I finally found the fix for my ASR. I normally use SMP kernel and due to these ASR issue I decided to switch to the standard kernel and it didn't generate ASR anymore. The last ASR for me was Feb07 and now is Aug07. So over 6 months now the server been up and running without any problems.

So you might want to switch to the standard kernel and see how it goes.

I also update my server to the latest PSP to version 7.7 before I switch to standard kernel. Not sure if this contributes the fix as well.

Thanks
Isaac Morton

Alright!
Firmware update from HP seems to have fixed it for me.

I opened a case with HP and was sent over to the Proliant team. They linked me to a firmware update ISO (bootable image) for my DL380 G4s. As a controlled test, I updated the firmware on one of the DL380s. The great news is that this server hasn't rebooted since January. However, the second non-updated server crashed (ASR) a few weeks later. I've since run the firmware update on this second server and it's been running fine since February.

P.S. - if you run your Proliant(s) hooked up to a MSA1000/similar HP SAN, DISCONNECT THE SERVER FROM THE SAN AND ALL HP DEVICES BEFORE THE UPDATE. The HP tech talked me through the update. Since my brain was on autopilot, I failed to notice that the super-smart HP CD was going to update every HP device connected to the Proliant. My SAN crashed, my FC60s croaked, and a couple of hard drives started flashing red. As a best practice, I'd recommend contacting the MSA1000 team if you have one involved with your proliants - 800-633-3600, option 1, option 2. I did detail my hardware setup with the HP tech, but she didn't probably have familiarity with the MSA components. We lost a serious amount of business because I assumed too much. Be wise and don't do as I did.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Hi Steve

you're right

most of the time when you have issues installing Firmware CD it's much better unattached devices connected to the server

sometimes there are some issues or delays when the CD is loading drivers or loading media

well regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Steve H.
Frequent Advisor

closing thread.