ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753487 Members
4482 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL320e Gen8 v2, P222 controller not compatible with SATA?!

Pacek81
Occasional Contributor

DL320e Gen8 v2, P222 controller not compatible with SATA?!

Hi.

I have serious problem with Smart Array P222 Controller. I use Western Digital 1TB Velociraptor 10k drive WD1000CHTZ (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=20#tab3). When I cold boot server it doesn't recognise P222 controller. It doesn't show up after POST and my server tries to boot from NIC. When I reboot the server using CRTL+ALT+DEL, the controller magically shows up and I can boot system from WD drive. I can reproduce this situation every time I cold boot server. Problem is that I HP is do nothing to fix this crap. They told me that the the WD drive is messing this thing. But I have tested this disk on 4 PC's and different controllers and I had no problems with booting, reading or writing this disk. So in my opinion problem is with the controller not disk. They released a new firmware (4.68) but it's not resolving this problem. I think, that this controller is not SATA3 compatible :(

Any ideas or suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: ML320e Gen8 v2, P222 controller not compatible with SATA?!

So when you cold boot the system without any disks connected to the controller, does the controller ROM show up during POST?

The controller is PCIe 3.0 and supports 6GB SAS and 6GB SATA

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: ML320e Gen8 v2, P222 controller not compatible with SATA?!

On a related note, have you disabled the internal B120i Dynamic Smart Array? If not you need to either disable it, or make sure you set the P222 as the boot controller

Is this a DL320e Gen8 v2? or n ML series server?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Pacek81
Occasional Contributor

>So when you cold boot the system without any disks connected to the controller, does the controller ROM show up >during POST?

Yes, without disks controller shows up at POST. I've change disks to Samsung SSD 840 Pro disk and controller is visible after POST and boot normally.  So this issue is related to P222 and WD1000CHTZ disk.

>The controller is PCIe 3.0 and supports 6GB SAS and 6GB SATA

Oh, yes it supports, except WD1000CHTZ! ;-P

>On a related note, have you disabled the internal B120i Dynamic Smart Array? If not you need to either disable it, or >make sure you set the P222 as the boot controller

Yes. B120i is disbaled (the first thing I've made) and P222 is a default boot controller.

>Is this a DL320e Gen8 v2? or n ML series server?

My mistake. Yes of course it's DL.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: DL320e Gen8 v2, P222 controller not compatible with SATA?

>My mistake. Yes of course it's DL.

You can use the Post Options > Edit Reply to correct your subject lines.

Pacek81
Occasional Contributor

I resolved this issue by upgrading firmware of storage controller (P222i) and server (DL320e) to the latest version.