1751958 Members
5814 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

DL320e Gen8 v2 fan noise

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Re: DL320e Gen8 v2 fan noise

OK now the fans have settled to 6% when installing esxi, but FAN3 is always running at 29% no matter what.

If there is no drive in any on of the bays, is this what it will default to?

EDIT:- With a drive configured in the Smart Array B120i the fans do indeed drop to 6% 6% 6%.

However I do not want to run a drive in these servers, booting from SD into Esxi instead.

Can anyone from HP tell me how I can stop FAN3 from going mental when there are no hard drives installed?!

Thanks!

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

OK might me making progress...

Ive noticed the fans go crazy when the HD Max sensor says there is nothing installed. They only quieten down when that temp sensor is seen.

Now upon futher investigation, its ONLY seen after the correct drivers are loaded in the OS, THEN the fan speed drops accordingly.

So to extrapolate that to your situation Cyirak, are you seeing the PCI 1 and PCI2 temperature readings in the list or not?

It looks like HP use the drivers in the OS or something in the OS to communicate these temperatures to the ILO, rather than the ILO reading the temps direct from hardware.

When I installed a new NIC and just rebooted Esxi, there were no temps listed in the sensors list for the card, Im just re-installing Esxi now, and will see if they appear correctly when the drivers are installed.

If its the same as the case for the missing HD Max sensor I had when the drivers were not loaded, this could be what we need for correct temperature reporting. Thats if the ILO decides it wants to ramp the speeds down anyway.

EDIT:- now with all the NICs showing in exsi, I am getting PCI1 and PCI2 showing "not installed" under temperature sensors.

WHY HP, WHY?!! One NIC is an NC365T and the 2nd NIC is an HP 361T which is Sea of Sensors 3D compatible, so WHERE are the TEMPS in the ILO List?!!!

Argghhhhh

Ive attached a screenshot of what I mean, where are the flaming temps for the two NICs?!

:(

HP, we need your help!

Cyirak
Frequent Advisor

Hi T_1_6

I  am seeing exactly the same as you which makes me wonder how the tempretures are reported to iLO.

I'll try to find some time tonight to install windows server 2008 R2 or 2012 on the server and see if i still get the same behaviour.

What version of ESXi are you using? i presume you are using the HP customised ISO?

Thanks for posting your findings i feel like we're possibly making progress.

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Was running the lastest November HP Esxi 5.5 version.

Saw all temps OTHER than the two NIC temps in the esxi configuration.

Under networking in ILO4 all NICs seen and recognised.

What annoys me the most, is that with that fan3 spinning like crazy, taking the top cover off and feeling the heatsink on the quad nic, it was COLD to the touch, so no need for the fan to go mental.

If you google image other ILO4 temps on other Gen8 servers, you can CLEARLY see there should be temps reported for the Pci-e cards, rather than just the zone.

Its seriously annoying.

Please let us know how you get on with the Windows HP NIC drivers, perhaps they report better to the ILO !

Having said that, I would still want to see the cards temperature being displayed in the ILO regardless. Like I said, Im running an NC365T AND a Sea of Sensors 3D compatible 361T also, and neither are showing as installed under the temperature list.

This isnt acceptable I don't think.

IF anyone from the HP team can comment on this behaviour, we would be very grateful !

:)

Cyirak
Frequent Advisor

This is a mirror of the behaviour i am experiancing. 

I'll keep you posted. 

If HP could chip in would be appricated.

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

OK more info..

If the power levels are set as OS control, then the fans spin down to 6% 6% 6% almost immediatly after esxi is booted, rather than the 5 min wait I was experiencing for the HD Max sensor to decide it fancied making an appearance.

This is with the two PCI cards disabled in the BIOS and an HD in the front.

If you then enable one of the PCI cards, with OS controlled power, the situation is reversed, and FAN3 spins down to 6% and the front two fans continue to spin at 29% !!

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

OK Update on this..

Installed Server 2008R2, on the Smart Array B120i with its RAID Driver, loaded up the E1R intel nic drivers, installed both ILO driver packages..

Absolutely the same, no temps listed for the Pci-e cards in the ILO4 list.

Quite fed up with this now, as its a waste of power and energy to have these fans all running at 35% when there are no temps being reported from an HP NIC thats compatible with the HP server itself.

Jimmy, anyone, can somebody check this out for us?

Do we have a faulty batch of servers that are not getting HP NIC temps from the Pci-e slots?

Cyirak
Frequent Advisor

T_1_6,

Did you install the PSP out of interest?

Regards

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I currentyl don't have access to the hardware.

I know on the Microserver Gen8 to get the NIC temp data in iLO there is a companion driver that must be loaded for Linux. The driver is tg3sd. 

Looking at the Linux drivers for the DL320 Gen8 V2, I see the tg3sd driver for Broadcom NIC listed, along with an ocsbbd driver that provides the same function for the Intel based NIC.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Erathiel
Frequent Advisor

Jimmy, taking the opportunity that you turned up here: you have announced that you would be working with the DL320e Gen8 v2 team to resolve the noise issue (see your original message here). Could you post any updates on the progress that has been made?