4861 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

DL320e Gen8 v2 fan noise

Cyirak
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL320e Gen8 v2 fan noise

Ah awesome glad your making progress. 

Presumably your fan speeds reduced down to 6%?

I have tried a few things with esxi none have been fruitful. 

I have ;

- installed esxi onto a new sd card with nic inserted 

- installed the latest broadcom drivers 

- installed latest ams

- updated to ilo 2.03

HP are still investing this for me might be worth you raising a support call also.  I guess the more data they have the better informed they will be. 

Also going to try esxi 5.5 update 1 to see if I get the same behaviour. 

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Cyriak,

Yes I got a consistent 6% fan speed when a single nic was reporting correctly to the ILO. It was joyous compared to the ridiculous speeds when the data does not get communicated to the ILO.

We have arrived at exactly the same position now I have re-read your threads earlier.

Both of us have things running ok under 2012R2, obviously not me with the nc365T but ok with the 361T, and both of us are seeing no temperature data from any pci-e cards under Esxi 5.5 U2.

Seeing your choice of NICs, the 331T and the 332T, these would have to be my choice if there is no resolution for my HP Intel cards.

That still leaves us in identical positions, no sensor data coming back with ESXi.

Im appalled really, given the fact its an HP image, and all is fine under windows, clearly there is something missing from the HP Esxi build, as not only does it not report the Pci-e device sensors, one of the LOM sensors is missing too, which was reporting back under 2012 R2.

Now I have heard the server at 6% fan speed with one working Pci-e card, I really cannot accept the fans screaming under another OS. I have no doubts that if you had TWO cards reporting the sensors ok under SVR2012 R2, the fans would be at 6% also.

Have you tried this?

Again I am the same as you, I need the 2 onboard nics, and 6 extra from two add-in cards. I dont care now about what chipset they have, I just want the **bleep** thing working correctly.

Ive spent an enormous amount of money on this.

Cyirak
Frequent Advisor

Yeah sounds like we're at the exact same position only your Intel I'm broadcom.

I haven't tried two nics yet. More than happy to, got some time set aside tomorrow to gather logs and document everything ready to send over to HP.

Yeah I feel your frustration, I put a lot of time into researching what server to buy to replace my old ml110 G5 which has done me well. These servers seemed good value for money, power efficient etc and although I did read about problems with fan noise it appeared to be an issue with the on board raid which there is a solution for. No one had mentioned about missing sensors on pci cards causing issues. Who knew Inserting some nics would be such a pain, the only reason I purchased the 332 was case the 331 didn't work, I haven't tried the 331 under ws2012 tho.

Hopefully other people will read this thread and save a lot of time. I dread to think how many hours I've put into troubleshooting this already.

thankfully HP are going to look into this for me so hopefully we come to a resolution sooner rather than later.

Thanks for your help and posting your findings btw, I was about ready to give up before you mentioned the HD max sensor and made me question my understanding of how the sensor communicate with iLO.

Regards,

Cyi
Cyirak
Frequent Advisor

Hi T_1_6

Please find the attached screens with two nics.

Please be warned you may get annoyed. 

I just inserted the NIC and powered the server up no extra driver install or anything.

Regards,

Cyi

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I thought this might be the case!

Many thanks.

Cyirak
Frequent Advisor

Yeah, tried two different ones both show temps. I have it set to RAID. How have you got your onboard controller set?

Tried a WD 320GB Blue and a 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD both worked fine.

I still havent made any progress with ESXi and the temps.

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

The intel DC S3500 and DC S3700s work ok

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Any updates?

HP have effectively said to me that the fans running at 35% with no temperature from the Nic cards is acceptable.

Cyirak
Frequent Advisor

Sorry I haven't kept you updated been a bit busy recently.

Hp are still investing this, will keep you posted with any updates I receive. It's a shame just hp support havent been as helpful towards you as they have me.
Erathiel
Frequent Advisor

So it's been two weeks since Jimmy asked the product team for an update on the progress and still no news, right?