1753777 Members
7443 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

DL320e Gen8 v2 fan noise

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Re: DL320e Gen8 v2 fan noise

Well thats everything running a charm in SVR2012 R2..

Just STILL no PCI-e temperatures in Esxi 5.5.

Come on guys, really need to sort this out now, any clues as to anything we can try?

Ive tried updated nic drivers from vmware, no go, installing the agentless management service for Esxi, still no go..

What else can we do with no information?

Cyirak
Frequent Advisor

I'm Still waiting on a response from HP. sorry its not better news guys

Erathiel
Frequent Advisor

So it's mid-January 2015, over a month since last update on this topic. Is there any news?

nepa82
Occasional Collector

Hi there,

I got issues with fan noise as well.

I got the dl320e gen8 v2 with ilo 2.03, and 2014.03.28(P80) BIOS, running Windows Server 2012 R2. I run 2x 500GB SATA HDs in Raid 1 using the B120i controller. All good so far, and fans run at 6%.

But I need DVI on these server, so I bought Matrox P690 PCIe x16

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/p_series/p690pciex16/

Latest driver is installed.

But it is not reporting any temperature in iLO, so fans are now running at 21\21\35, which is a bit loud, and probably unnecessary. The PCI1\2-zone sensor is only at around 31c

Are you going to provide a fix for this, or are we stuck with these fan speeds\noise?

Cyirak
Frequent Advisor

Still having this issue with ESXi 6.0 HP Customized ISO.

This is still with HP looks like they are still working on this issue. Once i have an update i will post here.

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Come ON HP this is ridiculous now.

Its not even about the fans as such, but we are talking basic fit for purpose here.

Server 2012 with the drivers, ALL TEMPS are reported FINE to the ILO, Nics, HD-Max etc etc...

With ESXi, NO HD MAX temperature, NO PCI-Board temperatures, just what the HELL is going on?

Why do the Esxi drivers NOT perform the most BASIC of functions, you know, like providing temperature data to the ILO like what we PAID for ?

Getting seriously seriously annoyed with this, perhaps I will get a full refund on all my servers?

Will HP do this for me ? Im totally fed up.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@T_1_6 wrote:

Come ON HP this is ridiculous now.

Please remember this is a community based support forum and even though some of us that work at HP try to assist here you really need to call support and log a case for this issue

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Esxi is a serious OS and these are supposed to be Enterprise servers....

I want temperature data coming back to the BMC/ILO please, for the sensors on the Hard drive, and the HP Nics I paid money for.

If this cannot be achieved I dont know whats left for these boxes.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

As per my last response, have you called HP support?

Are you using the HP ESXi image? As I understand the HP ESXi image has all the required drivers

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Yes of course I called HP support!

But its a bigger problem than anything they can seemingly cope with. It was back in November 2014.

Esxi 6.0.0 HP Image ISO, no HD-max temperature, and no temps for either Genuine HP Nics installed, be it Intel chipset or Broadcom.

I just do NOT understand. Everything is FINE in WIndows Server 2012, COULD NOT BE BETTER, but with Esxi there are just no temperatures reported to the ILO, therefore the fans are screaming uncessesarily and continually, and its a total waste of power, energy, and fan life.

Its so frustrating, as I am an HP fan, and even recently spent a LOT of money on a Zbook 15G2 fully specced up.

The idea that Esxi just fails to operate the server correctly is bonkers.

Is there something fundamental missing from the ISO that we need to install?