6646 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL320s Transfer Rate?

Pavel_28
Occasional Advisor

DL320s Transfer Rate?

Hi, ALL!
I have ProLiant DL320s Server with SmartArray P400 controller installed and Win2K3 implemented on two SAS HDDs in RAID 0. To my opinion it has too slow transfer rate when copying files about 1GB in size from one partition to another. All firmwares (HDDs, SA, BIOS) and drivers are up-to-date.
Could anyone measure the transfer rate on a hardware configuration similar to mine (in Bytes/sec or minutes taken to copy 1 file of 1GB)?
Thanks in advance!
Best Regards, Pavel
8 REPLIES 8
Pavel_28
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for disinformation. HDDs are Hotplug SATA, not SAS.
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

on my system it's around 65MB/sec

bye.

TJK.
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

your transfer rate?
only to know ...

bye.
TJK.
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Igor Karpovskiy

Pavel is my colleague. Transfer rate is about 10-12 Mb/s. In the begining of the copy progress the trasfer rate is like yours, but after 250-500 Mb it slows down.
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

how many MBytes cache has the controller?

read and write cache % are set to?

bye.

TJK.
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

You will never able to estimate real performance of RAID controller by using only 2 drives and copying from the disks to the same disks.
In your case you didn't get a maximum sustained transfer rates because on each read from drive you make write on the same drive at the same time, and SATA drives is worse than SAS/SCSI for such type of load and really not intended for transactional performance.
If you cannot add disks now to estimate sustained transfer rates, try to split you disks to 2 independent arrays with one disk in each and copy file from one array to another.
Igor Karpovskiy

Actually, there are 2 arrays on 2 separate disks. We copy the file from one array to another. Cache is 256 Mb. We tried to disable it. Same result.
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

what said frtom Basil it's partially true.
not completely.
my test never will be the same of your.
my files never will be located in the same places and equally fragmented ... and so on.
many reasons can give differnt results.

for sure, it's easier to measure the performances having thwo separate array reading from one and writing to another.

for a 7200 rpm SATA HHD, the transfer rate (writing substained) from my direct experience, it's between 25 and 35 MBytes /sec.

this result it's perfectly aligned with the 65 MBytes/sec measured a few days ago.

the cache and the controller it's also very important.

with your controller and 256MB cache and two separate disk array ... 10 MB/sec it's a very low speed.

the location of the tranferred files are the same thay have had during the first test?
or you have copied them?

have you, during ths days, defragmented the disks or something similar to this?

Bye.

TJK.
<> Leonardo da Vinci