cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL360/380 G4: n/w bootdisk not enough memory for Win2003 setup

Marco van Ammers
Occasional Visitor

DL360/380 G4: n/w bootdisk not enough memory for Win2003 setup

I'm facing a memory issue with regards to a DL360/380 G4 and Windows 2003 setup.
I'm using a unattend install framework with a network bootdisk to connect to a network share and install from there.

Win2003 setup needs 440 kB of free conv. memory.
It seems that emm386 (Win98SE version) is not able to reserve enough upper memory in order to loadhigh different network client components.
After initialisation of emm386, only 26 kB is available in upper memory.
Therefore, all network client components are loaded low, leaving only 350 kB for Win2003 setup. This results into a 'not enough memory' error when trying to run setup.

Same install framework works properly on DL360/380 G3, so it seems that DL360/380 G4 uses another way of memory management which is not compatible with emm386.

Anyone a suggestion how to adjust my install framework to get this working?
2 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360/380 G4: n/w bootdisk not enough memory for Win2003 setup

Marco,

Try the following Universal Network Boot disk instead.

This is built with XP and has better DOS memory management than many other tools. It has support for a large number of network cards including the Broadcom models and can be configured easily on floppy or CD if required. I've used it before for ghosting images across the netork when other tools have failed.

Read about the supported cards and how to build the disk at the following link.

http://www.users.on.net/~driver/bootdisk/

I hope this helps.

Brian
Marco van Ammers
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL360/380 G4: n/w bootdisk not enough memory for Win2003 setup

Hi Brian,

I've just tried your solution and it does work! Thanks a lot for your help.

In the mean time I've set up a Ms ADS server to see if we can benefit from that as well. Putting both solutions together will give me maximum flexibility in new installations.

Cheers,

Marco.