108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360/380 SCSI ports

SOLVED
Go to solution
Denis_25
Occasional Advisor

DL360/380 SCSI ports

I am trying to spec both a Proliant DL360 and a DL380.
My plan is to split the backplane to have the RAID 1 and RAID 5 sets on separate physical channels using the built-in 5i array controller..
On top of this, I'll be installing an external Ultrium tape drive to one of the servers.
My question: is the external VHD SCSI port common to one of the internal 5i channels? The HP documentation states that it is OK to connect a drive to this port. In the past, I've used a separate host adapter (like an Adaptec 29160) to keep a slow device like the tape drive away from the RAID drives. Now I'm not so sure that this is necessary.
I would appreciate ot very much if somebody could help me with this.
4 REPLIES 4
Simon Hallewell
Advisor
Solution

Hi,

You can't duplex the backplane on a DL360. If you duplex the DL380G3 you would be using both channels of the 5i controller onboard and you would need to add in a 2nd scsi controller for the tape device.

Thanks.
Denis_25
Occasional Advisor

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply. I think that answers my question. What I should do then is to attach the tape drive to the 2nd SCSI port on the DL360 instead.
Regards,
Denis
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi

if an external streamer is attached to the external port of a dl380g2 or g3 model, you might have backuptimes that take up to 3 times as long as normally.

the smart 5i chip is not really specialized for streamers. so whenever you use streamers other than the ones in the compatibility list it is a good idea to install a scsi card.

best regards from germany
ernesto

ps: in that case you can split the backplane of your dl380 g3. the smart 5i will automatically detect the new configuration.

make sure that the smart 5i is still the boot controller after scsi card installation (setup F9).
Denis_25
Occasional Advisor

Danke shoen, Ernesto

What you said is very useful. I will certainly stay away from using the built-in ports on either server for the tape drive. this is the kind of information the documentation never mentions...
Regards,

Denis