108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G1,2,3 airflow holes on the top cover

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anton_38
Occasional Contributor

DL360 G1,2,3 airflow holes on the top cover

I noticed holes on the top cover of almost all DL360. Looks like hot air mainly goes up not to the back.
Does it make any sense?
6 REPLIES 6
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Hope this helpy you.

check the attached image.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This is for G3
Good luck.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Anton_38
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!
I still don't really understand it. Proper airflow has to be from front to the back of the server. Picture shows airflow goes up also.
Does it mean I have to leave space between U1 servers in the rack for proper cooling?

Manuals for DL360 and HP 9000 & 10000 racks have no info about airflow going up.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi
Let's talk about DL360G3

Counter-Rotational Fans -- The two independent fan subsystems (one set for the processor and I/O and one set for power and storage areas) include seven counter-rotational fans. Each fan in this system is actually two fans, one turning clockwise and the other turning counter-clockwise, providing improved airflow over traditional cooling fan designs.

Refer to image labled as
((Two Zone Air Flow in the DL360G3))
So it taken air from front and throws from back.
Like we do :-)

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

The picture previously attached may have not been the best illustration. Here is a different view, featuring the DL360 G1. All cooling is front to back. To maximize the amount of air egressing the system, these cutouts in the top are combined with louvers directing the airflow towards the back.

From a DL360 technical brief:

"By positioning all fans near the middle of the ProLiant DL360 server, Compaq maximized thermal
performance and minimized fan noise. Compaq engineers strategically placed other components
within the chassis and added baffles and curved surfaces to direct air flow and prevent eddies of
warm air. The rear processor, for example, is offset rather than directly aligned with the front
processor. This placement allows cool air to flow past both processors and all the DIMMs.
The fans push warm air out through custom-designed louvers at the back of the top access panel
(Figure 3) and through numerous vents in the rear panel. The sloping louvers allow warm air to
vent out the top panel without being trapped by another server immediately above it. Connectors
are strategically positioned low on the rear panel so that they will not block the flow of warm air
venting out the back."

Anton_38
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys!
I understand meaning of custom-design louvers but I still don't understand why we need ventilation holes on the top cover: top-back-right and top-front-right (on the top of a media).