ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748201 Members
3157 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G1 Fan Noise

Jeff Wills

DL360 G1 Fan Noise

I have a DL360 Gen1 server. I am unable to get the fans to idle down to a managable noise level. Is there a certain patch or update to correct this issue?
4 REPLIES 4
Andrew_346
Regular Advisor

The fan that causes the most problems is the flat, squirrel-cage fan near the procs. The only thing I've found to reduce some of the vibration noise is to wedge some paper or foam alongside that fan assembly to make sure it doesn't move around.

Set the server on a work table with the top off and just try securing that fan a bit more.
Jeff Wills

Is there no driver or support pack out there to allow me control over the fan speed?
Andrew_346
Regular Advisor

Sorry. It's not something that I think HP would willingly let us modify.

The DL360 G1 was the first 1U x86 server that Compaq made. They learned a lot and one of the biggest lessons was with cooling. The CPU fan on the G1 is a known noise-maker.
Per Hamrin

One of my DL360 G1 servers was extremely noisy. The fan speed was at max. I removed and refitted the processor heat sink (NB. Use new silicon paste or pads if you do this). Apparently the heat sink was not fitted correctly to the processor. After this exersize the fan speed returned to normal.

The DL360 G1 is still noisier than my other servers but now it does not sound like a jet fighter.