ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753979 Members
5923 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G1 Hardware Restarts Sudden Reboot

david Bonamo_1

DL360 G1 Hardware Restarts Sudden Reboot

I have a DL360 G1 1ghz 2gb Ram running w2k3 server. Firmware p21 11/2002 The server originally had 1 CPU and was running without issues. However it was recently upgraded to 2 CPU s, both were replaced, the original had a different stepping. The sever reboot fine and loaded the OS. Was shutdown and reinserted into the rack.

Now when it reboots it starts loading the OS and just powers off, at first thought it was an OS issue, but the power off occurs at different points in the startup process, during array config detection, if I go into utilities partition, it just clicks off and restarts.

Thinking it may be the CPU s, I put original back in and I now still have the issue

The last status of this was it will now boot in to system utilities and I ran diagnostics no issues, no reboot.

My thoughts are

1. Thermal issues?
2. Power Supply

Any ideas? Has anyone experience this issue?

Thanks

Regards

David
4 REPLIES 4
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Try completely clearing NVRAM of the server. You can do it using switch 6 on the system maintenance switch block.
david Bonamo_1

Thanks for the reply, yes I had already done nvram clear. No luck, also something I did not mention, the CPU's are both Compaq options, the original CPU that worked was not. Also there is a 3com 3c985SX and and Adaptec 2944 HVD scsi card installed which was removed also with no luck.

Thanks again
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Checl the iml logs for the server to verify the reason. offline you can boot through smart start cd then check it. or can run daignostics onserver also.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
david Bonamo_1

Thanks all, thanks PrashantS, I did check the IML logs before I read your reply and determine it was a thermal issues with the CPU's.

Reworked the heat sinks and the system is fine now.