4290 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G1 Problems - {DL360 Gen1 PIII Xeon 800 Rack UK (161080-031)}

Marc Carney
Valued Contributor

DL360 G1 Problems - {DL360 Gen1 PIII Xeon 800 Rack UK (161080-031)}

Hi,

I have a DL360 G1 with some strange issues. We were getting intermittent problems where the disks (one or both) were going off line and many and various errors were being reported in the logs. I read another thread that explains that there are believe to be inherent problems with this model but I continued with the repair anyway. Although I have replaced most parts in the server the server will still not work.

This is the basis of my problem:

I have done a system erase. With two 18GB disks installed I have SmartStarted it and brought up the ACU. From there I can see the two disks and I select the default RAID 1 option and save the config. At this point both disks disappear and it tells me that there are no disks connected. Weird as they were just there!

So far I have: flashed the firmwares using maintenance CD; replaced system board; replaced array board; replaced hard drives; replaced SCSI backplane; replaced power supply.

Since I have almost replaced the whole server I am now stumped. I'm thinking that due to my spare parts mostly being reconditioned (and hopefully tested!), that maybe I was sent a duff system board as my replacement. So I'm about to order another main board.

Has anyone any suggestions or ideas about this problem.

I'm at the end of my patience with it!

Thanks

Marc
The sheep tell me what I need to know
7 REPLIES 7
Matthew J Warrick
Frequent Advisor

Getting a bum "replacement part" is certainly a possibility. Considering how old the server is, perhaps it would be more prudent to replace it.

Barring that, SCSI backplane or cables seem a likely culprit if the drives are disappearing.

Good luck.
"Did you get that memo?"
Marc Carney
Valued Contributor

I've replaced the SCSI backplane. The backplane connects directly to both the system board and the disks and there is no SCSI cable to replace. I don't want to give up on the server just yet. It's a dual XEON 800 so quite a capable machine in a 1U enclosure.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What kind of error are logged under iml? when you are going through all this.
Since you are saying you have replaced most of the parts and problem is also intermitent. How about runnning server in loops for system board and disk test. I am not saying it will sureley help but we can try it.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Marc Carney
Valued Contributor

As I've done a full system erase it's difficult to read the IML. I'll see if I can find the diags to gain access to it. Is there anything you can suggest? Previously in the IML before the erase there were many errors and even more in the W2K event log. Various different errors implying failing disks, but then it would re-stripe. The Insight logs showed the disks to be good. I managed to do a chkdsk and it showed 0 bad sectors. Anyway, changing all the parts with spares has made no difference.
It't just like the problem mentioned these discussions:
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1194815&page=1
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=763779

I feel that we may need to scrap the server but I don't like to give up that easily.
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Well, it does not sems to be something easy to diagnose, I recommend you to run a ADU report and send it to me so tha twe can see what the cause of the error is.

Make sure you're using SmartStart CD 5.50
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1123.html

Important question, during POST, can you see the Integrated Smart Array Controller initializing?

RaMpaNTe
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
Marc Carney
Valued Contributor

Sorry for the delay in updating this post.

After everything that I had already tried, I swapped the system board for the second time and it worked fine after that. I feel my hunch was correct and that my first replacement board had the same fault as the original. However it's fixed now so I'll close this thread.

Thanks for all your interest.
Marc Carney
Valued Contributor

System board replaced.