1753771 Members
4868 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G1 RAID 1+0 expansion

Michael De Groat

DL360 G1 RAID 1+0 expansion

Hello,

I need some advice. I currently have an DL360 with the Smart Array 5i. The system is setup with RAID 1+0 (2 x 36GB). The system is currently near capacity. I would like to replace the drives with 73GB drives. Can this be done without completely rebuilding the system?

My idea was to shut the system down, take out disk 2 replace it with a 73GB let the system come up and sync the array. Then once it's done, shut the system down, put the 73GB in disk 2 in disk 1 and replace the other 36GB with a 73GB. Can this be done? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
6 REPLIES 6
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G1 RAID 1+0 expansion

Michael,
yes, you can do it exactly as you write.
But question here is that you want to do with additional 36 Gb?
Which OS you run and that is current logical disks structure?
If you want to create additional logical disk - you can. But if you want to extend existing logical disk and you have only disk "C" (I assume you run windows) - you cannot use diskpart utility to extend a system volume
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325590
You may try to use software like Partition magic for extend logical disk in such case.
(and even this method probably will not work if you have dynamic disks)

You second option - backup/replace disks/restore.

Michael De Groat

Currently there is just one logical volume with one C:. The server is Windows 2000 Server and the drive is actually in basic mode. So basically, I can put the 73GB in the disk 2, let the array sync, then put the other 73GB in, let it sync, then use something like Partition Magic to expand the partition to the full size?

My next question is, if I put only one 73GB disk in, remove the remaining 36GB. Can I then expand that single 73GB, and then replace the second 73GB and let it sync after the expansion?

Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

First question - yes.
After rebuilding complete you can use Partition Magic ,Acronis DiskDirector or other tools (AFAIK no freeware tools exists).
Second question - I think answer is yes too.
You can replace one disk to 72 Gb, wait till rebuild completed, remove second 36 Gb disk, expand logical drive with Partition magic or other tool and then set second 72 Gb disk.
Anyway, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD BACKUP of the server before any operation.

IMHO, backup/replace disks/restore will be most simple and safe way (and with backup/restore you always can back to your old 36 Gb disks with data in case something going wrong)
Shameer.V.A
Respected Contributor

Hi Michael,
You are having rightnow a RAID 1 array.

Please go through the following threads with similar concern.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=997117

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=993564

Hope these informations will help you.

Regards,

Shameer
.... See invisible, feel intangible and achieve impossible as everything is possible ....
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

if the system does not need to be 100% uptime
i'd suggest backup/restore.

twice replacing one raidmember and resyncing the raidset can take a long time with reduced performance.
once backup-restore could be done within 2 hours or so.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Michael:

I see two issues here...

1. You should do this while the system is alive and running. If you shut down, you run the risk of the smart array thinging the 72GB drive is "THE DRIVE" to replicate from. If the system is up, you can easily pull a drive and replace. I have done it many times with the hardware you speak of.

Alternatively, to have a good clean backup of the drive, shutdown the system... remove one drive... reboot the system. Place the pulled drive to the side as your backup, wait until the OS has finished booting up and replace the pulled drive with the larger drive and let it rebuild.

2. The second issue is this... you will NOT be able to use the extra space until the second disk is in place. Since you originally had an array of 2 disks, the Smart Array will not allow you to use the extra space until both disks have been replaced. Since I believe your worried about a "backup disk", you already have the original first disk. Just swap the second disk and let it rebuild and use your 3rd party software to extend the partition after you extend the Logical Drive using ACU.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)