1753899 Members
7853 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G1 RAID Controller

John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

DL360 G1 RAID Controller

A customer of mine had a DL360 G1 dual 800Mhz with 2 x 36GB mirrored. One Monday they came in and the server was up but the disk drives were not available to the Linux OS. I had the person cycle power but both drives they showed as failed. I had her power off, pull one drive and power up. The server came up. I had her shut it down and took a new spare drive installing it in the vacated slot. When she powered up the new drive flashed as it started rebuilding the mirror. 1/2 hour later the server lost access to the drives again. Tried several times but always failed. I retrieved the server and brought it to my office where I tried new drives in the machine. They both showed as failed. I had an exact duplicate server in inventory so I took the drives that showed as failed from the other server and booted the spare server. Both drives spun up, server loaded, no problems. I shut down after the remirroring finished. Pulled one drive installing the "new" drive I'd had my customer install, server came up, remirrored, no problem. Powered down my spare server, pulled the new drives the other server showed as failed installing in the spare server. They spun up went green. Powered down, installed one of the drives from the recent remirroring, spare server came up complaining it was missing a drive (it was). Powered down, installed new drive, powered up, server mirrored to new drive. Powered down, made newly mirrored drive only drive, brought up, server okay except for complaining about missing drive. Off, second drive installed, remirrored to new second drive, all working in spare server. At this point I have 5 disk drives all the same Linux install. Try to use any of the drives in the customer's server they all show as failed. Try with on and two drives, all fail. Try all drives in spare server all work. At this point I figure something is loose so I check and reseat all components inside the customer server, nothing. I guess the embedded RAID controller has failed? I hate to throw the machine away or part it out.

Long story short: does anyone know the part number of the RAID controller for a 1st generation DL360?
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Thst model carried an controller called ROC, you can look up the parts in Partsurfer:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=modinfo&model=PRODL360GEN1

158855-001 16MB integrated Smart Array controller

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

IF the controller is bad, the Smart Array controller is embedded in the system board. Your only options are to replace the system board, or install an add-on Smart Array controller in one of the PCI riser slots. If you decide on the later the supported controllers for that system were

283552-B21 Smart Array 5302/128 Controller
Note: Supports internal drives with purchase of Internal Array Controller Cabling Option Kit (174571-B21).

283551-B21 Smart Array 5304/256 Controller
Note: Supports internal drives with purchase of Internal Array Controller Cabling Option Kit (174571-B21).

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

The G1 do use the ROC (RAID On a Chip). It sits in a socket, and look like a memory module for laptop.
However, it do use the embedded scsi controller for the drive connection, and I'm affraid it's a system I/O board failure.

You can check if the drive backplane is properly seated, but I don't beleive you would have that problem on the G1, since its secured, with a latch and thumb screw.

Since you've got a working server, you can try with the boards from that, starting with the easy ones (ROC and backplane).
System board is easyli moved with CPU's and DIMM's.

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The maint. & service guide does show the controller can be replaced. It's been forever since I've been inside on of those old systems. The part number provided in the first posters response is the correct part number
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!