ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753944 Members
8721 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G1(?) SCSI Drives not spinning up/IDing

Kenneth Lorthioir

DL360 G1(?) SCSI Drives not spinning up/IDing

Hello all, I'm having a problem with my DL360 (Which i believe is a G1 now, although i had been assuming it was a G2 since i had received it, anyway to tell for sure?) I currently have 2 Seagate cheetah 76 GB SCSI HDD in the machine, and after having just replaced the powersupply I turned the machine on and it detected the 2 HDD and i was able to install Linux onto the HD no problem, then i rebooted after the install and the machine was no longer IDing the drives. It says Scanning for SCSI Devices, and then reports back with ID 1 - Error and ID 2 - Error. The machine no longer spins the HDDs up. I know the HDD themselves are working because I am able to put them in another server (not a DL360) and they will spin up and work fine. So why is it that the drives will sometimes spin up and detect but a majority of the time they will not? Is there some firmware upgrade that perhaps can fix this, or anything at all that i can do?

Thanks for any help!
4 REPLIES 4
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Are you sure these drives are HP / Compaq (branded) spare / option hard drives?

HP recommends specific part numbers for use with their servers, if other parts are used e.g. (hard drives) Seagate or Maxtor, then what really happens can't be guessed, meaning if it works, good; if it doesn't then we are in a no mans land.

Although I have not come across things like these, it could be anything from the drive firmware compatibility with array controller firmware. The problem could be with the controller or the cables. Can't really say...
Kenneth Lorthioir

Although these are not official Compaq drives, I do have the original 18.2 GB Compaq drives and the same issue happens with these as well.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Well, then it should be something to do with the hard drive backplanes, cable or controller.

During POST, the controller initializes. Is there an error at that stage? Are the drives lit with red fault LED or blinking amber or green?

Things to check:

1. Reseat backplane & SCSI cables.
2. Reseat controller, check for the f/w of the controller & drives (only for Compaq branded ones) at hp.com, if updates are available install them.

If you are in doubt download use the firmware maintenance CD to update all update firmware (7.50 if it is G2).
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Kenneth,

The G1 is cream coloured, officially called Opal by Compaq - All others from G2 updwards are carbon coloured (dark grey).
(See attached image of the G1 model)

If you had to swap the power supply it's likely to be a G1 since they used to generate 1611 fan failure errors when the fan bearings got stuck due to overheating.

Now to replace the power supply you had to take out the PCI riser cage and probably moved the large cable that goes from the front of the server to the main system board. This cable holds all sorts of signals including the SCSI signals.

Retrace your steps and unhinge the PCI riser cage again. You might find that the large flat cable going to the system board isn't seated properly.

I hope this helps.

Brian