ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753464 Members
4639 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G1, power to PCI card?

Andrew Horton

DL360 G1, power to PCI card?

Hi there. I have a DL360 G1 that I am setting up as a telephony server. The PCI card that I am using requires a power connection, much like a disk drive, CD ROM, etc.

I cannot see a harness that would enable me to power the PCI card. Can anyone suggest how best to proceed?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G1, power to PCI card?

Hi Andrew,

Worst case you could always hang a cable from a desktop PC power supply in through the back of the server to the card. Just make sure grounding is OK. You do also get quite neat PSU's for external tape/disk drives etc. so one of these would also be suitable if you have an old tape unit/ storage unit lying around.

I'll have a look at the DL360G1 power layout and reply back but it's perhaps best to avoid soldering inside the unit if possible.

Regards,

Brian

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G1, power to PCI card?

Hi Andrew,

Having looked at the DL360G1 layout there are only a few points where you could solder wires if you fancied this. The system board power connector can be checked for the +5V, +12V and ground points. One other possible location might be the CD/Floppy backplane (See attached image).
The SCSI backplane probably won't have any obvious points on it.

Personally I thnk there is too much risk involved from this and would stick with an external power source if this is possible in your situation.

Brian