1748081 Members
5173 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL360 G10 servers and lack of support

BFH_2017
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G10 servers and lack of support

So our company went out and spent 30k on a new DL360 G10. I was looking forward to getting it into our environment but after hours of frustration I'm about to send this thing back.
HP has apparently modified the bios so much that there are no more hardware diagnostics to run to burn it in, and the bios settings to get it to boot to a usb stick don't work.
I've disabled, enabled, uefi, all security options for booting to a usb stick. The deployement software built into the bios won't accept a microsoft iso file to install the OS. It just says verifying, then does nothing and won't let me select the iso file on the usb stick.
Even when I can get it to boot to the usb stick, for some reason I don't have any mouse or keyboard options to use. I've tried usb mouse and keyboard, and even the one on the kvm...no luck nothing works.
I've attempted to connect to the ilo interface to get thru it, no luck.
I've worked with HP products for years and this one is one of the most frustrating ones I've ever come across.
I've tried searching blogs and everything else but apparently there's nothing out there yet.
When I try using HP's site and search specifically for the model and the results I get are for g9's and earlier, which doesn't apply.
Completely frustrated with this new model!!!

38 REPLIES 38
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Hello,

Having spent 30k on the server, I am assuming you have both a support agreement and an ILO Advanced license so you have some options here. Here is what I would suggest:

I hope one of these items work for you as what you are trying to accomplish is pretty standard. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

BFH_2017
Occasional Advisor

I can't believe on such a new server I would have to do updates to it already and that the software that came on it wouldn't work as it should. But I am downloading it.
Since HP changed the bios, the one time boot option doesn't work as it has in previous version. It reboots the server and then skips the one time option selected.
I've set up countless numbers of HP servers, but this one takes the cake for how much more complex it is just to get it to boot and install an OS.
I did test the USB stick on another server and it booted to it fine and allowed me to use the mouse and keyboard just fine. However this G10 won't.
I'll do the SP update and see how that goes, but still very disappointed in how, right out of the box, difficult this new server is to setup and configure not to mention how poorly the HP support site has become when I can't even find solutions or relevant search results to my query.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If the system is skiping the device you have selected for one time boot, it is generally because it doesn't recognise the device.  Gen9 and Gen10 server are UEFI based systems.  Is your boot device proper for booting UEFI, or is it MBR based for booting a BIOS type system?  

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
BFH_2017
Occasional Advisor

Well I tried the SPP update, crashed part of the way thru and now I have a black screen with Stack error messages all over it, RIP error message. Basically it's crashing now when trying to boot. I had even tried to reset everything to factory defaults and that's when the crashing started.

I'm familiar with how to build a boot image and have done so many times over th 30 years I've been working on servers. Even our purchase last year of the G9 series went fine, doing the same process I've always done.  But this new G10 quite frankly sucks. It appears they spent too much time trying to pretty up the BIOS guis, yes there is more than one depending on which option you select. 

When I attempted to use the built in deployment tool and tried to select an ISO file, all it would do is show a splash screen saying verifying and then nothing. Wouldn't go past that screen. Even though the ISO file is a direct download from Microsoft.
When I was able to get it to boot from a USB drive, the mouse and keyboard would not work. I had usb mouse and keyboard plugged in and neither would work. When I attempted the same thing using our KVM...same result...it would prompt to push any key to boot from DVD/CD...then when the gui for the install loads....no mouse or keyboard to use.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Sorry you are having issues. If your doing the same process you've been doing for the last 30 yrs, to create a bootable image,  then you are probably creatiing an MBR based boot image. UEFI will not boot from an image setup for BIOS based MBR.  Maybe you had the Gen 9 systems configured to boot in legacy emulation mode?  

BFH_2017
Occasional Advisor

I've checked the manual, again. I am attempting to install Win2k8 R2 64 bit, but again, when I get the boot prompt to push any key to boot to dvd...I do and it boots, loads windows files, but then I have no keyboard or mouse to use. As I've said, I tried a KVM keyboard and mouse and also usb mouse and keyboard and nothing functions when attempting to interact with the installation options.

—When set to UEFI Mode, configures the system BIOS to boot using native UEFI graphic
drivers.
Disabled—Configures the system BIOS to boot using INT10 legacy video expansion ROM. This setting
is required if you are using Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows 7 as youroperating system.
3.Save your setting.
4.Reboot the server
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

According to the certification and support matrix, Server 2008R2 is not a supported OS on Gen10. You might try the following, as this was required for Server 2008 and 2008R2 on the Gen9 platform. 

Access RBSU, and select System Configuration -  Platform Configuration -  Boot Options - UEFI Optimized Boot , set this option to disabled. 

BFH_2017
Occasional Advisor

You must have access to a compatibility list that isn't public. The public list doesn't even show the G10 on it. 

I've tried disabling that option already, still doesn't work.

Heck the dang Intelligent provisioning won't even let me change the time zone, it keeps wanting to connect to the internet for some reason. I can't even disable that. I believe I should be able to control what my server does and how, but it takes several minutes for the intelligent provisioning to even be able to be accessed because it's trying to connect. Not sure why it won't even let me change the time zone without connecting to the internet.

bkesting1
Advisor

I have gotten a DL360 Gen10 to boot off USB.  Just need to make sure it is setup for UEFI and the USB stick must be formatted FAT32 (NTFS will not work).