1752554 Members
4645 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL360 G10 servers and lack of support

TheMarc
Occasional Advisor

I am fighting with the same problem. I have a bootstick (MBR) that works from G4 up to Gen9 without any problem. But no way to boot it on Gen10! I think the "Legacy USB boot" on G10 (ML350 in my case) is broken. Bios Update to 1.46 has not solved the problem. And funy: PXE Legacy-Boot works!

I also tested the internal (USB2.0?) port -> Not working!

A answer like "use a uefi usb pen" is NOT a solution for me. There is an option "Legacy Boot" and then it must work. ;-)

As told before: Stick works on all Servers but not on Gen10. So it MUST be a Gen10 problem. :-D

Danylepremier
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I have noticed that the DL 360 Gen 10 would only boot USB keys of 16 GB and above. If I tried a lower capacity this was a no go !!!

Fajita
Occasional Visitor

Wow Wow Wow --- I have been struggling to get the DL360 Gen 10 to boot from USB today. Thanks so much - I'll go out and buy some 32GB USB memory sticks tonight.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Danylepremier wrote:

Hi,

I have noticed that the DL 360 Gen 10 would only boot USB keys of 16 GB and above. If I tried a lower capacity this was a no go !!!

I'm fairly certain I boot Gen 10 using keys smaller than 16 GB.   

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I always use 8GB successfully, but this does not mean this is the only one working ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Fajita
Occasional Visitor

Well I used an existing 64GB and was able to boot.  Don't know if it is the quality of memory stick or the size. I'll purchase a smaller name brand memory stick and see. 

Fajita
Occasional Visitor

After further investigation - I have sucessfully booted from 8GB and 64GB Drive Keys. The size doesn't seem to matter but rather the quality of the chipset on the Drive Keys. For some reason the server doesn't recognize some Drive Keys (atleast for booting). Use a high quality Drive Key and there should be no issues... if so then change brands..

tomereynolds
Occasional Advisor

I have just wasted about 6 hours on this same task, trying to get a new HP DL380 G10 to boot with a USB.  (Formating and building my boot USB takes about 2 hours each attempt).  I have mangaged to prove the following:

Lexar 64GB Thumb Drive USB boots G9 and G10

PNY 128GB Thumb Drive USB Boots G9

I have a bunch of proven PNY 128GB USBs all over North, Central, and South America, so I would like to figure out why its not working on the new G10s.   I don't have any spares for the Lexar.

Does anyone have a list of what brand and size works with the G10?

I will post a follow up after I get more info.   I am thinking of updating the BIOS by running the PSP as a Virtual DVD...

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you want to use SPP, please be aware the USB Key Utility supports USB up to 32GB (only), see

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1008862658&swItemId=MTX_360731071b404454b454390208&swEnvOid=4184#tab3

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
tomereynolds
Occasional Advisor

the USB Key Utility supports USB up to 32GB (only)

Thank you for that!   This helps explain why I couldn't use my Lexar 64 GB Thumb Drive, which was the only one that the G10 would actually "see".   

Now, I was able to use an older Micro Center 8 GB Thumb Drive to make the 2018.09 SPP bootable via USB, but I had to boot the G10 in Legacy Bios Mode to actually see it and boot from it...  Which should be fine for installing drivers, but not possible for me to use to install the Windows 2012 R2 OS, since it requires many reboots.

That said, I am still trying to get my client to download the Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) Version 2018.11.0, since you need a current support contract to download that!  

I am hoping that if I can update the BIOS or some other firmware, that maybe I can use the PNY 128 GB Thumb Drives on my G10s,  that work fine on all my G9s...

"An active warranty or support agreement covering Proliant servers must be linked to your HPE Support Center profile to access this application."

Does anyone know, if I link this new G10 to my account, will the client not be able to link it to theirs?    Will HP detect that I, the consultant, linked their serial number?