1748003 Members
4427 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G2 - How to adjust internal fan speed

Andrew_351
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G2 - How to adjust internal fan speed

DL360 G2 that I recently updated to the latest firmare (Smartstart 7.40) and rebuilt with 2003.

The problem is the fans run at full speed when the unit is started and never decrease regardless of Windows loading or not.

I could swear the fans slowed down a bit after windows loaded 2000 server, but now they run at full speed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Server is an A/C environment and has the latest BIOS updates and was rebuilt using the smartstart (7.4) CD.

Thank you!
13 REPLIES 13
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Check the environment page of the HP Systems Management Homepage to confirm your assumption that the fans are at high speed. Fan speed is under control of the Advanced System Management Controller driver and are adjusted automatically based on what is required to keep the system cool. If the ASM (also known as 'health') driver is not present, the fans will spin only at high speed.
Andrew_351
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the response!

The environment page says "CPU Fan status: HIGH" "Power Supply Fan: NORMAL".

I continue to try and install the "Advanced System Management Controller Driver" from the smartstart CD, but it never installs. When I looked on the site for downloading, the DL360 G2 model is not listed as a supported server for this driver. I guess this is why it is not installing.

The one for iLo is installed fine.

Any other suggestions? Maybe I should try putting Windows 2000 Server back on this...

Thanks
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please visit the following site
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_2543.html
HP ProLiant DL360 G2, Microsoft Windows 2000

Update the system driver and BIOS then check
If it is failing then update with the error message.

REgards,
Prashant S>
Nothing is impossible
Andrew_351
Occasional Advisor

Bios is at Version P26.

Ran the PSP and updated everything with SS 7.4. Is there any driver in particular I need to be looking for?

I rebuilt the entire machine with Win2k and fan speed is still set to "high".

Any other ideas?

Thanks very much for the help!
Anthony Koay
Occasional Advisor

Hi Andrew,

Just a quick check, do you have any amber LED lit up on the front chassis upon booting into OS?

Cheers!!

AK
Andrew_351
Occasional Advisor

No, all green lights.
Andrew_351
Occasional Advisor

HP is going to send out a new fan. They said the temperature reading and everything looked fine. -not sure why it is stuck on high for CPU fan.

If the new fan doesn't work, then they will send out a system board.

Just hope to have this fixed, it is way too loud right now...
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

This machine doesn't have any hardware based fan control. The fans will normally never slow down until the correct system mgmt driver is installed. This server uses the "HP ProLiant iLO Advanced and Enhanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Server 2003" (CP005397.exe). This is the correct driver for any machine which has an ILO. If something is preventing this driver from loading, then this would account for why the fans never slow down.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Andrew_351
Occasional Advisor

Thanks...

It appears that this driver is loaded. Inside device manager, under controllers, it has the correct driver number and no error messages.

Maybe it is a hardware problem afterall...