ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753321 Members
6463 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G2 - Red Health LED when UPS powered?

Bill Prentice
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G2 - Red Health LED when UPS powered?

I have four of these units and all are exhibiting the same problem.

Plugged into the UPS - health LED goes red. No boot. At all. Nada. Zilch. Just a red health LED.

Plugged into the wall - everything good.

I know everyone's first thought - bad UPS. Here's the thing - OTHER SERVERS (DL380 G3s and G4s) HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THIS UPS.

Any body got a clue?
14 REPLIES 14
cnb
Honored Contributor

Bill,

Which UPS is this? How many available circuits are on the UPS? Is it a 3-phase UPS?

Since the servers power up when plugged into the wall, its safe to say they are somewhat functional. So now check the AC power cords/source from the UPS circuits or use a meter to check the voltages coming from the circuits.

The DL360 G2 are auto-sensing power supplies anything from 100 - 240 VAC should be sufficient juice to power them.
Bill Prentice
Occasional Advisor

APC SMARTUPS SURT 8000 XL with AP9626 PDU.

Power cords work when used in the wall, not when connected to the UPS. The same power cords have been tried in both spots.

I'll have to get a meter to check the output voltages.

These same four servers had worked with this same UPS for more than 18 months at least without any issue. No changes in load or units attached to the UPS have been made prior to seeing this issue. IML records nothing wrong. iLO logs records nothing other than the power cord has been plugged in/unplugged. UPS is not reporting any errors on its diags.

Combine all of that with 4 dl380 g3/4 units being happy with the exact same outlets on the UPS.

The only assumption I can make about this is there's an issue on these four 360 g2s but I haven't been lucky enough to find what.
cnb
Honored Contributor

The other thing you can do is pop the cover on one of the failing systems to see what faults are indicated and follow the procedures in here to help isolate the issue:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01125949/c01125949.pdf

What LEDS on the system module are indicating a fault when the server is connected to the UPS?

Rgds,
cnb
Honored Contributor

Also see this manual and start with the Power Problem flow-chart:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00300504/c00300504.pdf

HTH

Rgds,
Bill Prentice
Occasional Advisor

No LEDs light up except the health LED which is solid unblinking red. The server will not power up with this condition so no POST errors :(. This is what is making it impossible to do any normal troubleshooting
cnb
Honored Contributor

Remove the top cover and look at the 3 switch packs near the power supply. What are the positions of each switch? Even with the RED health led on, power button off there should be some leds on the system m/b and d/c board lit. Press the power button and see if any leds change.

It still sounds like input power is insufficient form the UPS.

HTH

Rgds,
Bill Prentice
Occasional Advisor

Let me clarify that last reply - The only led to come on when plugged into the UPS is the red health led. No other front panel or system board leds. The power button even stays unlit (instead of the amber when the unit is powered off normally).
cnb
Honored Contributor

that s/b ...from the UPS.

Also would appreciate some points if any of this is helpful:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Rgds,
Bill Prentice
Occasional Advisor

Insignificant UPS power is what I would agree with, except the UPS load is less than 10% and my dl380s plugged into the same power outlets on the PDU work fine.

At this point I'm beginning to think of weird things being the problem. Back when I used to actually use my CZ number I ran across a Kayak than ran fine under Win98 but BLACK screen of death'd (yep black, with a CPU register dump) on Win2kPro. The reason? A .01v ripple of the +5v leads from the power supply. I don't think that's what's happening here but I'm beginning to suspect the power supplies in these four units are a lot fussier about the input voltage/amperage/consistency. The only problem I have with that explanation is that it worked for months in the now failing configuration.