ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753501 Members
3834 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G2: what's the trick to removing the access panel?

James Long_5
Advisor

DL360 G2: what's the trick to removing the access panel?

I would like to open my DL360 G2. However, the top latches are very lame, IMO. Depressing these latches does make a noticeable click, but doing so requires the use of both hands, and does not afford me enough of a grip on the server to overcome the friction inherent between the access panel and the case.

Is there a way to remove a reluctant lid, and further, a mod that can be done to make the lid easier to remove in the future?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi James,

They can be extremely tight. The method of removal requires you to depress both latches and push down and to the rear of the server to remove the top cover (see attached diagram).

If you can get assistance, a flat-bladed screwdriver can be used on the lip at the back of the cover to assist removal as you push it backwards. The problem just appears to be friction so I'm not sure if running some grease down the sides of the cover when refitting would help but it might be worth a try.

Brian
James Long_5
Advisor

Thank you for the quick reply, Brian. The diagram is familiar, having looked at the setup and installation guide. I do not have the server racked, which might be increasing my difficulties. If it were on slides that pulled out and latched into place, I would then be able to push backwards against the locking mechanism of the slides. But the server runs just on a tabletop.

Here's what finally worked for me:

Taking appropriate static precautions, find a non-skid surface, such as a carpet or a rubber door mat, and place the server flat on that. Kneel in front of it (I don't like where this is going!), with your toes and knees on the floor. Lift the front of the server up into your lap, leaving the back edge of the server on the non-skid surface. An angle of 45 degress or slightly more works best. You can now depress the latches and use your body weight to push against the access panel toward the rear of the server, while the server stays wedged against the floor or mat.

I'm going to look into some grease -- I presume a silcone-based grease would be the thing to apply (sparingly)? Google for "silicone grease" and the first result says it protects against fungus also! I had no idea....
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi James,

I have been opening/closing quite easily on these g1/g2 while I was knealing against the wall and the server rests on my lap.

I guess the tip is to ensure the lid is closed properly at the first place --- I always check if there is any gap between the lid and the sever. Only if there is no unusual gap, I'd then pull the lid back the way as hard as I could as if closing it (sometime you hear a click), and only then I'd grip the back of the lid and gently pull it away while pressing the latches one at a time (these latches are never perfectly aligned so one of them will come out first).

Like I said, the key is to ensure the lid is closed properly --- which is why when closing the lid I always lay my elbows on both sides and then pull back the way slowly.

Gus
Learning never ends
Tim Wolfe_2

I'm not proud of this, but I've resorted to rubber kitchen gloves for a couple really tight lids. The right gloves can give you some really good grip.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Nice one Tim.

That brought a smile to my face.
They should certainly provide the grip needed.

Were they bright yellow by any chance?

Brian