1753381 Members
5708 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360-G3 NW NIC driver

Doug Ortman
Advisor

DL360-G3 NW NIC driver

I am installing NW6 on a new DL360-G3 manually (no SmartStart). The NIC is apparently a NC7781 gigabit. NW6 Install is not recognizing the NIC as anything. I looked in the drivers area of the web site, but the driver download is an NLM file to be used with CPQDEPLOY. How can I load a NIC driver that NW will accept for this NIC?
6 REPLIES 6
RLau_1

Download the Smart Component to a directory on your hard drive. Copy the Smart Component to a directory on your NetWare server. The downloaded file is a self-extracting NLM with a filename based on the Smart Component Number.
From the volume and directory where the Smart Component was copied, run the downloaded file from the System Console. Press the key to proceed with the installation. The contents of the Smart Component will automatically be installed on the server.
Doug Ortman
Advisor

I'm not sure I can access the DOS partition of the server from the console at this point in the install process. I'll give it a try.
Is this the Q57.LAN driver? I tried choosing that from the NW install screen and it would not load.
I've never had a NW install since the NW4 days that didn't auto-detect the NIC. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the NIC itself.
I'll report back after I try this.
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Cpqdploy is helpful once the OS is installed, but during the installation process, you'll need to try something different:

Open the Smart component containing Q57.lan using winzip from any windows client and copy the driver and .ddi file to floppy.

During the OS install process you can then load the driver from a:
Hope that helps,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Doug Ortman
Advisor

Janine,

Thanks for the heads-up that the *.NLM files are ZIPed archives. That's good to know for future reference.
I worked around this whoe thing for the install. I disabled the embedded NC7781 in BIOS and stuck an older NC3134 ina PCI slot. NW6 install sees that NIC and loads the N100 driver. That gets me through the install. I'll go back and deal with the NC7781 after I get the server up and running. I hope it just needs the newer driver than the one on the NW6 CD, 'cause it won't load and NW6 won't auto-ID the NC7781.
Again, thanks for the help.
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi Doug;

I'm glad you found a workaround.

The newer driver should work fine for you - it does here!

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Hal Blum

I have seen the same thing on multiple of the new HP / Compaq proliant servers, the fix is using the newest driver (either put on floppy, cd or local dos partition) then point the Netware installer to them , it will then correctly identify the cards as Q57.lan. The driver package that I found to work is SP23496.exe