108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G3 - amber interlock light / bad internal health -- help

SOLVED
Go to solution
lyle scott
Advisor

DL360 G3 - amber interlock light / bad internal health -- help

I have tried everything posted on these forums and anything I can find on google to set my server straight.

Basically, the interlock light on the mobo is amber and the bad internal health light it red on the front.

I am using hotpluggable power supplies, so I put flipped switch 4 on SW1.

I have reseated everything on the board.. and taken out anything I can get to at one point or another.

The processor does not get hot and i dont think the harddrives are spinning, either. The power supply makes the fans whirl.. that is about it.

The main reason for posting: how can I track down what component it is? multimeter? I can't get docs on the debug lights that the manual mentions.

I would like to replace the part asap, i just dont know what to do! :) help!
29 REPLIES 29
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G3 - amber interlock light / bad internal health -- help

"Interlock" usually means a system that stops the server from starting unless all the critical components are in place.

In a 1U slim-line server, the correct flow of cooling air is very critical. Are all the fan modules in place?

Even removing the top panel of the server might be enough to disrupt the internal airflows so that the processor won't get properly cooled. In such a case, the server designers usually equip the chassis with an interlock switch that prevents the server from starting if the chassis is open.

Also make sure that all the connectors between the circuit boards of the server are *fully* mated.

MK
MK
lyle scott
Advisor

Should have mention I had tried that, too. I have another server just like this, and it works with the case open.

All fan modules are in place.

I just basically want to know how to troubleshoot for a bad component. How can i debug to find the bad component?
lyle scott
Advisor

update:

actually I just noticed my CPU fans are not coming on. Is this because of another failure, no reason for them to come on.

Or could this actually be the problem?

These are the fans that are behind the power buttons on the front of the case.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Not quite sure from the post - do you have a second power supply in the server/
These can support two x power supplies.

If you have another DL360 G3 You could try swapping power supplies. Sounds like that might be dead.

I've had issues with power supplies on DL360s before.
lyle scott
Advisor

I actually have 2 power supplies. By experimenting, they both work (I assume?). They each power up the motherboard (no post, anything on monitor). I can keep both plugged in and hotswap them/unplug them and everything is fine.

The green lights don't come on in the back.. but the power is definitely getting somewhere. Everything seems to be "on" except the CPU fans and I don't think the hdd's are spinning. Also, I can not turn the server on.. as soon as i plug it in, the thing comes on.
javascript:postAnswerSubmit('submit');
I don't have access to the other one :-/

You'd think they would have some indication on what component is failing... or atleast documentation on the debug lights they flaunt in the manual. Never again...
cnb
Honored Contributor

lyle scott
Advisor

awesome..i like the guide. I don't get where the port 85 display codes are..or how to make sure that it is set.

I see 8 tiny LEDs when I throw sw3 in debug mode. They all come on.

ALso, the green power light does not come on in the back of my powersupplies (both!). Is this bad?
cnb
Honored Contributor

Use the maintenance and service guide to set-up the switches.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01125247/c01125247.pdf

There's also an LED table to help isolate.

HTH,

lyle scott
Advisor

ah.. i swore i tried this last night, but the lights are actually working blinking. I get some action on the top 2 iLO diagnostic LEDs... (farthest from power supply). I think they are labeled cr25 and cr26 ... they are both blinking on and off at steady (right under a sec) intervals (not in sync though)