108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G3 - amber interlock light / bad internal health -- help

SOLVED
Go to solution
lyle scott
Advisor

or PAL LED 6 and 7 .. i think that is what they are called.
cnb
Honored Contributor

Lyle,

What is the server part number (xxxxxx-xxx) and was this ever working? What did the POST 85 codes indicate?

lyle scott
Advisor

cnb: hm.. do you mean mother board part number? 305439-001 is the mobo...

It was working before i had it shipped to my new address. i had just booted it up for the first time in a few months when i originally posted.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1300392

^^ is a {desperate} update. I'm not sure what 85 codes you are referring to... my board doesnt POST.. the harddrives, cpu fans, optical drives, proc dont turn on when i hit the power button..

cnb
Honored Contributor
Solution

Lyle,

Not exactly. There is a part number also for the server (should be on the bezel). There are several configurations for this server. The manuals I referred to contain a section for setting the switches when you can't POST. They check the basic funtionality to isolate 'pre-POST' flow failures.

Use the maintenance and service guide to set-up the switches.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01125247/c01125247.pdf

There's also an LED table to help isolate.

Debug switches and code info on Page 152:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00300504/c00300504.pdf

If you can't get the 84/85 procedure to work, you may have to just replace the m/b at this point. Interlock failures are 'usually' easy to resolve (PCI riser, cover switches, etc...). However if you've eliminateded all possible interlock ares then maybe it's an internal m/b failure.

There are other threads on this forum with this part number and failing to POST. Their only option was to replace the M/B.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1230842555069+28353475&threadId=1144758

ls> awesome..i like the guide.

Also see this thread for those who may also have simliar issues to aid them in problem resolutiom:

Please read the following about assigning points:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

HTH,

cnb
Honored Contributor

Clarification:

That s/b PORT 84/85 codes. Sorry for the confusion.
lyle scott
Advisor

ah..i think this is the serial: M00TLGP11R (that is on the case, under the cover, right above bezel)

As far as the port 84 codes... I had tried setting 1,2 to on,on and 1,2 to off,off which is what the manual says to do for the code. I am not getting any LED lights that way... isn't this the way to read the 84/85 code? (I had read interpret the blinks at bits to convert to hex)

the top 2 LEDs blink when i put the switch to iLo debug.. but when i go to the ILo web control panel, it doesnt tell me anything.

..am I wrong about how to read the 84/85 code?

cnb
Honored Contributor

cnb
Honored Contributor

PORT 84 errors *should* be logged in iLO:

System Diagnostics - Integrated Lights-Out may be used to diagnose systems. The Remote Console may be used to monitor the system for POST error messages, the Integrated Management Log and iLO Event Log record events useful for diagnostics, Virtual Floppy (if licensed) may be used to boot and run System Diagnostics. A new feature with Integrated Lights-Out is the ability to record server ├в Port 84 POST Codes├п┬┐┬╜? as the system boots. These codes document the progress of the server through the booting process.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=332279&prodTypeId=18964&objectID=c00333965

HTH,
cnb
Honored Contributor

Lyle,

Unplug AC

Remove system access top cover.

Check that PPM modules are installed for each CPU.

Only 1 power suppy installed (right one as viewed from the rear)

Set your system board switches to:

SW1 2ON, all others off
SW2 3ON, all others off
SW3 ALL OFF

Connect VGA Monitor, KB and Mouse directly to the system.

Connect a known good network cable to iLO port.

Plug AC cord in. At this point 3 things will happen:

Power switch will glow orange.

DC fan assembly (x3 fans at power supply interconnect) will turn on and spin.

LED CR2 on System board (near CD/FDD connector) will light, indicating System Board (SB) power.

Note: the Green Power Supply LED in rear on the Primary P/S will NOT be on at this point.

All other LEDS on System Board (SB) will be off.

If INTERLOCK is on then one of the PCI riser assemblies is either faulty, not seated properly or there is dust/debris in the PCI Riser connector causing a poor connection. You must have BOTH PCI Riser assemblies installed and functioning (even if you're not using any PCI adapters).

If the ILO port IP address and subnet are on your local network and you know the IP address, then you should be able to browse to it using a web browser and login. Don't use telnet.

Please report your findings.

HTH,

lyle scott
Advisor

Thank you for your great reply.

Sill nothing in iLo (everything reports as "empty" and iLo debug is all at "PASS".

I don't have anything in my PCI riser cards. They are both blink. (The two white slots parallel to power supply).

My symptoms are as you describe though... to the T.